View Full Version : Setting up tools...

chunkstyle
07-28-2010, 03:55 PM
I've been plunking around in the link, trying to get things set up for a small job to run using the e-cab link. Got my new bits sitting here, too.
I'm starting out with a .375" mortise compression for outlines and dadoes, a .25" m.c. for dadoes and pockets and a 5mm for hardware holes. Bot's a PRS stnd. with 2.2 hp spindle.

One area that I'm trying to wrap my head around is the tool# assignments and operation #'s.
I think I have it right that all tool numbers should correspond to the same tool in all the programs (such as the link and Partworks)?

When it comes to the 'operation tool set up' does the operation # that gets assigned to the tool number imply what order a tool gets used? Does the "Drill First" option in the settings still get applied?

Havn't quite figured out what is going on here.

Thanks,
Tim

Gary Campbell
07-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Tim...
Since it's unlikely that you will use the toolchange post in PWks for a while, there is no real reason to assign corresponding tool numbers to a single tool toolpath.

Tool Numbers:
If you read the header info in the MTC file, located in the C:\Sbparts folder, you will see that all tools in head 1 (Z axis) will be numbered 11 thru 19. If you have a single drill mounted on your Z then its tool numbers can be 31 thru 39. There is no "rule" as to which tool or tools should have a certain number beyond what I have stated.

You didnt say if you had a SB drill mounted, but I will assume that you dont. No matter what other parameters are selected or set, checking "do drills first" does just that. I will assume no drilling with the 1/4 and 3/8 bits.

Set your 3/8 bit as tool #11 for outline and set its speed and depth parameters.
Also set the 3/8 as rout and dado (uncheck drill) as operation 1 and set speeds and feeds
Set the 1/4 bit as tool #12, operation 2 rout and dado (uncheck drill) and set speeds and feeds for it.
Set the 5mm bit as tool #13, operation 3 check drill, uncheck rout and dado

That should get you going. There some things I would do differently, but you should get some cutting in before you start tweaking.

dlcw
07-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Another thing about the tools database, I would recommend staying away from Groups until you get a better feel for SBLink. Groups can be a bit confusing if you are also trying to learn the other idiosyncrasies of the program.

chunkstyle
07-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Thanks Gary and Don,

That helps clear it up. I will use your advice to set up my tooling #'s. I was starting to set up using the groups but I will stick to what Don said and just set the tools and skip the groups for now.
I've created a test cabinet and removed all the parts cept the top and side. File will have dadoes, outlines and shelf pin holes. Should be a good practice and we'll see how she does with the tool changes and the remote zero pad. First I have to find out what's wrong with the spindle, though : (

Thanks again, it's appreciated.
Tim

Gary Campbell
07-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Tim...
My most frequent use for the tooling groups has been to add additional speed and rpm parameters to the same tooling for different materials. For example, we cut a number of gym lockers from PVC foam board. Tooling was the same, but our rpm and feeds were much different. We added the settings for the new material to a group and now anytime "White PVC foam" is cut, the Link automatically uses those settings.

chunkstyle
07-30-2010, 02:36 PM
If I understand you correctly Gary, are you saying that when you run a job the material that is getting milled is calling up the tooling group for that material? If so, is it automatically doing it when you run different materials within a twd file? That would be neat.

Tim

Gary Campbell
08-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Tim...
Yes... what I am saying is that should you set it up properly you can have different speeds for a given bit on different materials... automatically.

Now go reread Don's post!