View Full Version : Stepper Motor Ticking

plemon
08-13-2010, 08:45 AM
I've noticed that my y stepper motor makes a ticking noise when it is moving really slowly doing such things as the zero z plate routine. It runs fine but it is the only one that is doing this. Anybody experience this before?

Cheers,
Phil

Brady Watson
08-13-2010, 08:31 PM
What model tool are you running & what model motors?

-B

plemon
08-14-2010, 04:48 AM
I have a prsalpha 96x60 that I purchased this year. The motors are all Vexta asm98ac t7.2.

Brady Watson
08-14-2010, 08:27 AM
The Y motor should not be moving when doing the Zzero routine. Did you mean the Z motor? If you meant the Z motor, yes, you will get some low speed motor resonance. This is normal for every kind of stepper.

As far as a ticking noise, make sure it isn't the Z springs vibrating against the extrusion & since it is a PRS, make sure that you can't hear any 'ticking' when the control box is on & you grab the router and wiggle, shake and move it all around, up & down, side to side etc. If you do hear ticking at that point, it may be that you need to adjust the motor pinion to rack mesh, by loosening the motor mounts and putting some side force on it before tightening them back down.

Also, on a PRS, check that the Y car's bottom 2 V-rollers (the ones that hold the entire YZ car to the beam, are tight and correctly adjusted. I can't tell you how many shops I've gone to where these 2 rollers were just swinging in the wind, adding all kinds of slop to every cut the operator made. You'll need a 6mm hex wrench to adjust these, plus I think either 7/16 or 1/2" box wrench.

-B