PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping Words on Taper

kubotaman
08-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Okay I am trying to figure out what to do. Let's say I have some stock, 36 inchs long, that I have tapered 1/4 inch from end to end. I then want to wrap some words on the tapered part. I get the lettering to wrap but when I toolpath it the letters show way too deep. I believe they are being figured from the center of the stock. I get them to be correct if they weren't on the tapered part but not when they have to be cut on the taper. What is the correct procedure when on the taper???

Brady Watson
08-17-2010, 11:38 PM
That sounds about right. Have you tried cutting a sample? In foam?

-B

myxpykalix
08-18-2010, 12:04 AM
what program are you using? I think with aspire there is something about projecting the toolpath on the part that might have something to do with it.
I recall seeing (not sure if it was here or another forum) a guy who made a walking stick that had i think, the lords prayer wrapped around the cane which was tapered. I'll see if i can find the pic or link.

kubotaman
08-18-2010, 12:49 AM
I guess I should have mentioned that I was using Aspire. I tried "projecting toolpaths" on part but it didn't solve my problem. I believe that it can be done I just don't know how.

myxpykalix
08-18-2010, 03:34 AM
let me see if i can find this picture because it was a tall walking stick with words wrapped all the way around it on a taper.

Here is the link however i cannot tell for sure from the pictures if this was done on a taper, i thought it was. Contact the poster and see if he will share some info:
http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7862&p=55501&hilit=walking+stick#p55501

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7862&start=0&hilit=walking+stick

jdervin
08-19-2010, 12:54 AM
To the best of my limited knowledge, V-carving is a 2D or 2.5D option only and therefore treats the material surface as parallel to the table surface (or in this case, the turning axis). The only way I can think of doing it is treating it as a 3D object and cutting it with a 3D toolpath (using a ball nose). Unfortunately, this solution will likely take longer and will not have the precise corners that V-carving would produce.

I tested this idea in ArtCam, but have not tried a physical sample. It does appear that the letters get shallower as the diameter dimishes, but I think this is a result of distortion in the wrapping process that could be countered by pre-distorting the letters in opposite proportion to the decrease in taper.

While I am not familiar with Aspire, I assume that these steps can be easily replicated with that program.

FYI, I used a taper of 1" over 36" just to make it more obvious.

Brady Watson
08-19-2010, 08:34 AM
This is not hard to do in Aspire.

1) Create your model the appropriate size - sizing it the length of your part X the circumference of the large diameter of the taper.

2) Using the 'Create Shape' TILT tool, anchor to the end where you want your taper & end at the thicker part. Add this to your model & make component.

3) Create your text and place it in the pattern you want.

4) Create a 3D toolpath to machine down the taper 1st (very important)

5) Select text and VCarving strategy. Select the option to 'Project toolpath onto 3D model'

6) Go cut it & post pics here.

-B

jdervin
08-19-2010, 10:18 PM
...Select the option to 'Project toolpath onto 3D model'...

Brady--

Do you know if there is a similar option in ArtCam?

Brady Watson
08-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Yes there is...

-B