PDA

View Full Version : dust collection ducting-best pricing I've found

bleeth
08-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Posting this duplicate here for future botters search ease:

I did some diggin around as running new ducting through the shop is the next step in my shop and found McGill-One of the largest manufacturers of ducting around. They have an office near me so I got in touch for pricing. Spiral 4" 10ft at $17 and change, 5" $19, elbows and saddles around 17 each and connectors under $5. For us, the shipping is from Carolina but for what I need for the whole place they estimated around 125. I have a feeling though that shipping will end up more like 200 by the time I put it all together. The lower rate is assuming 1 pallette.

Here's their website: http://www.mcgillairflow.com/textDocs/aboutUS_PG.htm

I was surprised at the diffference in pricing when I stopped searching for dust collection ducting and started searching for HVAC ducting and sheet metal.

Note that this is smooth inner wall and joints and if you really want to do it right you assemble fittings with rivets and not screws. The upside is nothing to catch shavings on but the downside is taking a riveted system apart is a bear of a job!

dana_swift
08-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Dave- thanks for the link. I figure the folks in the dust collection business buy their ducts from suppliers like that and then double the price and sell it to us.

Since I bought my DC, I have been paying attention to HVAC ducting wherever it is exposed. It seems to be the current style to have no false ceiling these days. Anyhow - I have been seeing the same spiral sheet metal ducting that I bought, thanks for a link to a source. It will be saving me some cash.

Appreciate-

D