PDA

View Full Version : Jacked up link

chunkstyle
08-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Anyone experience problems with Link writing bad code?
three parts from same Twd file. Turned each part on and off for the purpose of running them separately in order to fit them on some left over material.
Weirdness going on with all three parts. Fist part ran fine untill I discovered a drafting error with a pocket dimension operation. The pocket was a circle shape counter bore for some T-nuts. Needed to be larger diameter. Other wise part was cut out fine.
Next part were two smaller jig parts. Everything cut fine except the onion skin pass speed. Bit travells around at the correct speed and depth but leaves about 2" of skin.
Finally, the third and final part was a simple rectangle with a rabbeted edge. Cut everything out untill the onion skin pass. The speed dropped from 1.6"/sec (using a .25" M.C. bit) to somewhere about .33"/sec for all three axis. Re ran the part and it generated the same results. Looked at the code and it has that speed value, in minutes, for the onion skin.
O.K..... went to re run the part for the wrongly drawn pocket holes. Redrew the dxf and made the revisions in part editor. Re-saved the TWD and put the old part back on the machine, as the old drawn/milled pocket cuts weren't going to be a problem. Bit travels to an incorrect location in relation to the parts edge and starts performing pocket operation. Quite the file and re-generated the part's code again and looked thru it. Found the start location of the pocket cut and it's not even close. The center of this pocketed diameter is supposed to be 3.5" from the edge of the part. That's in my DXF drawing and is also in the E-cab nest dimension. Code has it's location at 4.2 something something......?
Tried rebooting computer and moving hasp key to a new USB port. Keeps doing these oddball file generations. Anyone see there link act so jacked up? Every part has suffered a glitch of some kind. Nothing in my settings or tooling was touched. Cutting at 2"/sec. and skin pass at 1.6"/sec.
Rebuilt the batch and saved it off again. Saved it off as a TWD and generated the link file again. Same results.
Any thoughts?

chunkstyle
08-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Whoops,
That second paragraph about the second parts cut out was confusing. Perimeter cuts were all fine, including speed. It's just that it left about 2" of onion skin. I have tabs off as well.

Gary Campbell
08-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Tim...
Did you compare what was cut to the nest diagram in eCabs? If they are the same, then the problem is in what was done in eCabs, or eCabs itself. If they are different then the problem is with the link or its settings.

To answer your question.... No, not for a long time. It has been cutting what I design very well.

I will mention that in some cases that when you put part editor cuts on or over existing geometry, i.e. outside profile or other dados in eCabs, they often do not cut properly. It has been getting better, but I dont think its perfect yet. This is one of the areas where eCabs machining abilities have fallen behind those of the display.

ken_rychlik
08-22-2010, 06:19 PM
I have been having pretty good luck with mine cutting correct parts. I don't do cabinet editor part cuts though. I just use v-carve for the wierd stuff. You can take your link file and hit the export button.

Then email the file it generates to thermwood. The email for this type of issue is cabinets@thermwood.com and they will look everything over and tell you where the issue is.

Sometimes they will want to see the cabinet hsf as well as the twd also.

Kenneth

chunkstyle
08-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks Gary & Ken,

I'll attach the file and send it over to Thermwood in the morning. The results that I got were different than what I had designed in e-cabs so maybe it was in the link settings. It looks like the machine is doing exactly what the link code is telling it to do. The code is what appears wrong.

Tim

Gary Campbell
08-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Tim...
I have often cut files that turned out different than I believed I designed them. Send the hsf along with the cab export and the twd guys will find it.

chunkstyle
08-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Hey Gary,

Yeah, when I started getting my files cut from a cnc shop I never felt like those cabinets were mine. It was when I designed something wrong that I felt different about whose they were : )
Sent the TWD file, HSF, link settings export and original DXF drawings that I created my part editor cuts with. Since everyone's is in Atlanta they're a little backed up at Thermwood right now. Hopefully I'll hear from them soon.

Tim