PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Shopbot Link Dongle

davebryant
08-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Hello fellow Shopbotters. My Shopbot link USB hardlock was stolen from my shop last Sunday. Serial #0047. Please let me know if anyone tries to sell you one. Thanks
Dave

myxpykalix
08-24-2010, 02:43 AM
I'm not sure how those things work but if it is something that has to call out to somewhere for verification can't they cancel that one and reissue a new one to you with a new number?

I have heard horror stories of guys having to pay thousands of dollars for a stolen artcam dongle. I can't imagine shopbot or the other company would do that to you.

ken_rychlik
08-24-2010, 07:11 AM
Considering my shopbot pc does not need to be connected to the net for it to work, I think the hasp will work on any system.

A call to thermwood would be in order to see if anything could be done to track it down and if they would give a discount on another.

Did anything else in your shop get taken?

Kenneth

davebryant
08-25-2010, 07:50 AM
I left a voicemail with Thermwood on Monday, but they haven't got back to me. They took the computer as well, but dropped the computer by the road and drove off when our neighbour came out and saw them. I figure it's a pretty limited market to sell this item to. At least it's not Artcam or something like you say Jack. The link is well worth it even if I have to buy it twice.

englert
08-25-2010, 08:19 AM
FYI. Brent is at IWF, so he probably can't retrieve your voicemail until he returns.

Dennis

davebryant
08-25-2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks Dennis

myxpykalix
08-25-2010, 10:33 PM
dave if they dropped the computer when they were spotted and the dongle was connected at the time chances are its laying out in the grass somewhere near where the computer was. I'm sure they probably just grabbed the computer not knowing what the thing was hanging there.

if you have a buddy with a metal detector might help find it? Although not sure if the magnetic field would screw it up, for that matter get a magnet!

harryball
08-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Yeah, seems they were stealing the computer and the dongle went along for the ride. I'd check as suggested. I doubt he/she (being politically correct) would have taken a scenic route so search the shortest path to where the PC was found.

For future protection and a suggestion for others, you can get motion sensor devices that have a siren. If someone moves the PC/Tool/whatever that it is attached, it makes a loud 100 dB + siren sound. It's funny how criminals don't want to carry screaming loot around with them.

/RB