PDA

View Full Version : Braille insertion tool

srwtlc
08-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Just saw this and thought I'd post it here as there have been a number of posts on the subject in the past and it may be of interest to those thinking about or have thought about braille signage.

http://www.techno-isel.com/CNC_Routers/braille_insertion_tool.htm

Big-Tex
08-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Nice but pricey.

john_l
08-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Thomas, I've seen many whole building braille projects sell for well over $50,000. There is a hospital in Maryland that had estimates last week in the $39,000 range. This tool would be considered free if it helps complete a job like that.

keith_outten
08-31-2010, 08:04 AM
Or you could buy a 2/32 nail set from Lowe's for about 3 bucks. I use a nail set for the signs at CNU, it is probably as fast as using a machine.

John Lee is right about the cost of ADA door sign projects for large commercial buildings. My experience is based on sign projects in the 30 to 75 thousand dollar range.

myxpykalix
08-31-2010, 01:57 PM
This whole "braille industry" has grown up around making signs that from my perspective almost never are used. I can say that in all the places i have seen braille signs (which is everywhere) I have never seen a blind person using one to navigate.

And the exacting standards that the government sets for stuff like this to me is crazy. Just another example of government burocracy gone amuck.

knight_toolworks
08-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Yes I can see my blind wife running her hands on the way trying to find the sign. maybe on a bathroom door or such but blind people don't use signs like this from what I have seen.

bleeth
08-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Gentlemen please: How dare you try to confuse logic with govenrment?

bryson
08-31-2010, 10:15 PM
I have to tell this story. I had a project last year that included ADA signs. I used Keith's process which worked great. (once I was able to focus on the balls) I completed a few signs and took them to the local Blind Foundation. I thought it would be a good idea to have someone proof read them to be sure that I was doing it correctly. The lady at the foundation told me that there wasn't anyone there that could read braille and that the blind didn't normally use them anyway. She told me that if they did, they usually just felt the character. So what's the point??
Bryson

knight_toolworks
08-31-2010, 10:27 PM
it does seem that braille is getting less and less taught. but yes the letters work too. my wife can feel letters. but braille is faster for her.

keith_outten
09-02-2010, 09:37 AM
I have been told by several people that those who are blind prefer to feel the raised letters rather than read braille because it is faster.

Even though the current specifications don't require them I expect that in the future we will no longer be allowed to use straight edge number and letters. I cut mine with a laser engraver but that won't be possible when the rules change.

I expect that I will have to change my technique and apply an adhesive backed plastic material and route the letters in the future to get a beveled edge. This is the technique that most engravers use with rotary machines.

Whatever happens I expect that the cost to produce ADA signs will increase, the government rarely makes changes that make sense in this industry.

Big-Tex
09-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Who ever said gov. makes sense especially now days.
I hope they do not come up with regulations for signs that all has to have spanish as well.

myxpykalix
09-03-2010, 04:43 AM
amen brother.... :D

billp
09-06-2010, 09:06 PM
And then there are those who have specific tools- http://www.thecompassstore.com/braille.html