PDA

View Full Version : Need software help, .dxf to .sbp with tabs

Ted D
08-26-2010, 12:42 PM
I recently bought an older machine that came with PartsWizard2. I primarily cut nested parts out of plywood and I need to be able to add and edit tabs between parts. PartsWizard doesn't have this capability. I know PartsWorks does, but another $745 just really isn't in the cards right now if I can help it. I've been using TurboCad for years and have .tcw/.dxf files of all my parts. I need to find the cheapest easiest way to go from that to .sbp and edit tabs. I don't mind spending $200-$300 to upgrade my copy of TurboCad and pick up the CAM plug-in. I'm running a pretty old version of designer but have found a recent version of Pro with the CAM plug-in on e-bay.

It boils down to two questions.

1) Will TurboCad/Cam allow me to edit tabs at some point in the process?

2) Will the g-code file it generates be compatible with the ShopBot control software? (I'm really not clear on whether the .sbp files are proprietary and if that's the only thing that will run a ShopBot or not.)

Thanks.

ken_rychlik
08-26-2010, 12:58 PM
V carve pro is 599 and is the same program.

The price you have has the 3d bundled with it.

Still not free, but better.

Kenneth

ken_rychlik
08-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Go to vectric.com and look at the cut 2d program.

For about 150 bucks it will do what you want.

There is a demo for free you can look at also.

It took me a while to remember. lol

Kenneth

knight_toolworks
08-26-2010, 03:17 PM
I use a 5/32" downcut bit instead of tabs for 1/2" to 3/4" material. the sawdust packs into the slot and holds the parts in place. this is easier to deal with then using tabs.