PDA

View Full Version : Snowflakes

matt_r
12-04-2006, 11:54 AM
My wife and I were talking about making wood ornaments out of 2 or 3mm baltic birch. I started thinking about snowflakes, and how cool those would look. The problem is that I have zero drawing ability when it comes to that stuff. Sooo, I went out to the web. Found this:
http://snowflakes.lookandfeel.com/
You make a snowflake out of your digital folded paper, and your digital scissors - like when you were a kid (except real paper and real scissors, and the paste that you may or may have not eaten). :-)

You then preview you finished snowflake. The best part is that it allows you to save off an .eps file your unique creation.
I just found this. But I'm looking to import these into VCW and go from there.

Anyway - enjoy. Happy Holidays!

-Matt

matt_r
12-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Here is a preview done in VCarve Wizard:

matt_r
12-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Wow! I thought there would be more response to this. Maybe I'm more easily entertained that most. Either way - here's another example. This time using a v-carve method rather than an outline method.

-Matt

patricktoomey
12-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Matt, during the day the forum traffic often seems lighter, you'll probably get more responses this evening. That looks really cool! The funny thing is that my wife has been asking if I could do some shapes like that for around the house and for gifts. While I could whip something up in illustrator it's a hassle, this looks easy and it's capable of making cool custom shapes. I'll give it a try and see if I can earn some brownie points with the wife.

jsfrost
12-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Looks good Matt,

The V carved example looks suitable for a scrapwood Christmas coaster project.

Jim

mmccue29
12-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Matt
Looks really good. Thanks for sharing