PDA

View Full Version : Router won't start - Help!

jkillebrew
08-28-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm sure that it's something simple but I can't figure it out. I cannot get the router to start! The software is engaged, I can move the tool, run a file - everything but get the router to run. I was cutting some parts just fine but needed to stop the process in order to re-size a couple of holes. Pressed the space bar and stopped it as it should. I reset the control box, reloaded the file, reset the Z axis zero - everything fine until I pressed the start button on the box - no router start-up. Shut everything down, started from the beginning and everything worked as it should except the start button. I can hear it click inside the box, but the router won't start. I plugged the router into another outlet and it works, so the problem isn't the router, but I can't figure this one out. Any Ideas?

ken_rychlik
08-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Check the fuse in the box.

If it's clicking, it is trying to engage it, but if the fuse is blown, it won't run.

jkillebrew
08-28-2010, 09:04 PM
I checked the fuses (have two) and all appears normal. I'm getting power to and through the control box. I manually depressed the switches on contactors 1 & 2 with the power on and the router fired up. Released them and router stopped. All was working well prior to stopping the Bot for a couple of minutes to re-size my holes and make a new tool path.

ken_rychlik
08-28-2010, 09:24 PM
You said it clunks when you hit the start button. All it does is power up those two big relays that you pushed the contactors in on.

For the weekend, I would just plug the router into a regular outlet and call shopbot Monday. Sometimes they will return calls on the weekend too though.

Kenneth

jkillebrew
08-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Go figure! As mysteriously as it stopped working - it has started working. Can't tell you what I did to get it going, just kept trying and toggling the output switches on and off - then router noise! Must have been the way the clouds were blowing by today. That's the only explanation I can come up with. Guess someone was telling me that I really didn't need to get those parts cut today. We'll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions Kenneth.