PDA

View Full Version : Driver or motor fault

Stagecraft
09-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Was running my PRT Alpha yesterday for over 3 hours on our first ever job generated with V-Carve Pro.
At roughly 10 minutes from completing the job, all motion of the Bot just stopped and there was a "driver or motor fault" message on the screen.
No harm done, I still had all my coordinates so I reset the drivers and ran the file from the point where it quit using the "FG" command.
The machine did this a second time in the day cutting a repeat of the file but at a completely different part of the job.
I also ran a duplicate of the file on our other Shopbot with no issues.
Both machines have been running pretty reliably for a number of years...any suggestions to what I should be checking for?

supertigre
09-14-2010, 10:26 PM
It could be a loose connector or a broken wire somewhere between the control box and one (or more) of the motors.

ssflyer
09-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Just a thought, but have you installed any new equipment close by? Sometimes electrically noisy machinery can interfere with communication to the ShopBot...

Stagecraft
09-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks fellas'
Nope, no new equipment added recently and I haven't had a repeat of the problem over the past three workdays.
I did however notice that the ground wire that I had installed inside the vacuum hose had broken.
Didn't discover the break until investigating a blockage in the hose where the grounding wire end had been sucked in and bunched up.
Don't know if that was the cause of the problem, guess I'll have to wait and see.