PDA

View Full Version : Bracing a prs in the X direction?

ken_rychlik
09-15-2010, 11:07 AM
I am considering adding some diagonal bracing in the X direction on my prs. It has the diagonals on the ends (old style withough center legs) that take most of the shake out of the Y movements, but the X movements are shaking the table pretty bad.

Taking a look it makes sense as there are no braces in that direction.

I know I need to add some center legs and I think I may incorporate it into the mods.

I was wondering if anyone else had done this and if so could you post some pics?

oddcoach
09-15-2010, 02:48 PM
HI Kenneth I had the same problem with my PRT I put a piece of plywood attached to the legs made a world of difference

nat_wheatley
09-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Kenneth,

When is the machine 'shaking'? I push my PRS fairly hard, (not without issues), but not sure I've ever made it shake.

ken_rychlik
09-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Nat

When it makes a fairly hard run in the x direction. I notice it more when I am surfacing the table, but it does it other times as well.

I can stand at the end of the machine and watch the leg move forward and backwards in the x direction. Nothing is loose on it, but there is really nothing bracing the machine in that direction. The movement is probably about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch.

ken_rychlik
10-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Here is the fix that corrected the shaking. It is a combination diagonal brace and center leg to support the machine from sagging.

Even the "vintage" pr on ebay has diagonal braces on it. I don't understand why shopbot would not brace the machine from rocking in this direction, one way or another.

I could see the machine rocking back and forth in the x direction just surfacing the spoil board before.

All that is gone now.

Gary Campbell
10-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Kenneth...
Nice fab job, buddy! Thanks for posting

gc3
11-08-2010, 07:08 PM
That problem is one of the reasons this machine was created

http://mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171