PDA

View Full Version : New Thought on HDU Pricing

joe
09-18-2010, 07:51 PM
I've been ordering my HDU in bulk but now I'm wondering if this isn't a mistake. Here's my thoughts. The reason sign supply companies aren't stocking this pricy material it takes cash out of their company reserve. That's what happens to me and the answer may be, pay extra for the shipping and let the customer absorbe the cost. After talking this over with my trusty assistant Ron, we decided to stop stocking as many other materials. For example I have a half dozen gallon cans of Sikkens. Then there are several gallons of other texture materials, all setting idle. Not to mention the extra lumber. I've gotta start working smarter.

I've given up on 15lb HDU.From here on it's 18lb. And I've also just about given up on HDU as a background material. Not because of the cost, but it takes too much time and trouble to finish not to mention it doesn't like screws and is often floppy which means building some kind of substrate. O, by the way, routing out a channel on the back to install aluminum rods as stiffeners, doesn't work all that well. It's still floppy. We just finished out three 3'X10' panels using this technique. Man or Man were they floppy.

The new green version of "Sign Foam" arrived last week. Next week we will conduct some tests.

Happy Routing

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

Big-Tex
09-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Joe
Many companies do not buy in bulk anymore to save money. That is where barganing with vendors comes in they still need sales and sales went down so yes they are open to price negotiations.

Buying in bulk.
This money that tied up sitting idle not making you money for god how long. Buy as you need.
It is part what is known as lean manufacturing.

joe
09-20-2010, 07:37 PM
I posted earlier about my intent to order my Duna in bulk there by getting a wholesale price and free shipping. Then I decided to order by the sheet and pay retail plus shipping. The sheet by sheet tactic is now my new tactic.

Today was an excellent sales day. There was a new Quarter Horse Ranch (Gil Galyean) and a new 3'X8' entrance sign for Oklahoma Christian University. I'm going need some HDU but will hold to my guns and place my order for only what I need.

The customers deposits for these four signs would easily cover a bulk Duna order but don't know if it's the best economic move.

I know most folks on this forum don't face this kind of question but I wished I'd addressed it years earlier.

Joe

bleeth
09-21-2010, 06:20 AM
In my area Joe the suppliers compete pretty hard with each other. As a result I am able to negotiate bulk pricing on less than bulk orders. They are glad to have orders being placed as so many shops are ordering nothing.

kevin
09-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Joe I'am in the same boat as you I do custom I only order enough for the job

Example I use lots of birch I pay abiut 4.20 a board feet if I order a lift of birch i might get it at 2.90 a board feet .But that does not included shipping
On on an average kitchen I use about a 50 board feet do the math to stock when your custom is a waste of money

My supplier is an hour away I have everything shipped by courier with a speciel rate .I sometime drive my supplier nuts the way I order then when I have 3 jobs in a row I order large

Look at GM 80 PER CENT OF THERE STOCK IS IN TRANSIT TAHT MEANS NO INVOICES ONLY PO

Big-Tex
09-21-2010, 04:58 PM
In my area Joe the suppliers compete pretty hard with each other. As a result I am able to negotiate bulk pricing on less than bulk orders. They are glad to have orders being placed as so many shops are ordering nothing.

That is how I see it.......

john_l
09-21-2010, 06:38 PM
I used to buy only full unit quantities of many types of materials. Plastics, melamines, metals. Compared to regular wholesale, it was like getting 20% of that stack for free (in many cases) so I didnt mind it setting in the rack a while.

All of my suppliers are having a VERY hard time of it right now. I was in a suppliers warehouse yesterday printing yet another updated wholesale price list. I was getting those 10% price increase notices every couple of months back when the economy started to show signs of failing. Not any more.

If it's something you still will use alot of, you might want to check that bulk pricing quote again and you might be surprised they will work with you a little more.

toych
09-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Joe let us know how you like the new Sign Foam. I am doing a quote for a job today that will take two 1.5" sheets.

The last sheet I bought was 1" 18lb and cost 365 with shipping.