PDA

View Full Version : Problem working with probe file

johnnieb47
09-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Have been working with our shopbot for a couple of months and finally had a project that needed to be digitized. Fabricating a boat part. The end user needs the exact opposite of the part he provided. We have the part for the left side of the boat but need to duplicate the part for the right side of the boat.

Used the digital probe and "copy machine" to create my sbp file and converted the sbp to a dxf for importing into rhino. When I open the file in rhino, i get an object with the 4500 lines of plunge depths, not a copy of the part I scanned. I know I can mirror the part and that solves some of my problem flipping the part from the left to the right but how do I convert what I have from my probe file to an actual cut file? Do I need to reprobe my part with the polyline dxf file?

I have called tech support and they mentioned using the spline function in rhino and then snap to the grid but I can figure out how to do this.

I appreciate any help that can be provided. Thanks for your time.

John B.

9r2a5m70
02-03-2011, 11:59 AM
This could go a few ways, do you use Rhino(CAM) to do your toolpathing? Is the probed part an actual 3D object or just a bunch of lines? If you take a 3D object and export to DXF depending on the program it can be turned into a bunch of lines. I would try to export the file as a different type and bring it into rhino. you may have to redraw the part, I'm not familiar with the probe feature.

One possible soution is to take those 3D lines and just run an engraving path along them (if they are close enough together). Also, Depending on the depth of cut that you will need this may or may not work.

If the probe function exports as STL / OBJ / IGS, try one of those. They seem to be the best when importing files into Rhino.

Hopefully some of this info will be helpful.