View Full Version : Engine Side Plate

old_post_frank
05-23-2003, 10:07 AM
I have copied an old engine side plate using the shpbot probe, and have the .sbp file in hand. I see that it is just a list of M3 commands that have been recorded by the probe. The side plate is made of aluminum and is essentially a flat plate with raised ribs running the length of the plate, but in the center, there is a recessed set of letters forming the name of the engine maker. Now to my question. The detail around the lettering requires a very small tool bit. I would like to hog out the ribs with a 1/4" bit and then finish around the letters with a 1/8" bit, but I don't see how the cut file will allow me to do this. Since the cuts are 'finish' cuts, how can I accomplish what I need? Also, I don't see any way to tell the program what the size of the bit is. Since the cut point is the center of the bit, the finished cut won't resemble the plate when I'm done. Am I missing something???

Frank

rgbrown@itexas.net
05-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Frank,

A project like you are doing is probably better suited for opening in a CAD program and traceing. And, in reality, the most "name plates" are usually silk-screened and etched. Numbers are stamped or graved later.

The plot or DXF file you have could probably be opened, back-plotted, the bit offsets taken out, smoothed "Faired", cleaned up a bit more, and then converted to cutting files.

Unfortunatly, there is no magic program that will "Do it all" without one's own input I know of with the expception of pounds of hundred dollar bills. It is amazing how a large influx of cash can get things done. With, of course the exception of government.

Ron

billp
05-23-2003, 12:23 PM
Frank,
Another option is to re-probe the part , only this time use the .dxf probe file. This will generate a 'point cloud'when you are done. If you know anyone that has Rhino 3D, AND the "point cloud plug in", they would be able to set up seperate toolpaths for you as .dxf's which you could then take into the Shopbot program and convert to .sbp files.
A few of us are working on a way to do a toolpath from the .dxf point cloud directly into another "conversion"program. We are not quite there yet, but if we can do this it should solve your problem, and similar issues others have had..
You might also check into the possiblity of back plotting your .sbp file in the lastest version of Vector. This might also give you a workable .dxf file to manipulate.

Mayo
05-26-2003, 02:20 PM
Probe with a stylus that is the same diameter as the bit you intend to cut with.

You may need to have someone turn & tap a new stylus for you, to match the diameter of your bits.

Probe with a 1/4" stylus for your rough cut.
Probe with a 1/8" stylus for your finish cut.

Run your rough cut probe file first, change bits and then run your finish cut probe file.

To save time, if the rough cut is sufficient for all areas other than the lettering, then just probe the lettering area only for your finish cut probe file.

Alternatively, (if you have the same typeface as the lettering), why bother doing a probe of that portion at all? Just recreate the lettering and cut it at the proper depth as you would any other recessed lettering job.

gerald_d
05-26-2003, 02:39 PM
I am with Ron & Mayo - is the probe really the obvious tool?