PDA

View Full Version : Import Tool Database in Part Wizard?

jdervin
09-23-2010, 11:25 PM
ArtCAM conveniently has the ability to import custom tool databases, but I don't believe that option is available in Part Wizard. However, they seem to be reading the same *.tdb files. I've tried replacing the "tool_database.tdb" file found in my [Program Files\ShopBot\PartWizard 3.2\Exec] folder with one I created in ArtCAM, but that had no effect. Does anyone know of a workaround or other way to import a custom tool database into Part Wizard?

andyb
09-24-2010, 05:37 PM
John, the tool database file you need to replace is in a hidden system folder until the user profile. Here is the path for Vcarve Pro which is PartWizard. C:\Documents and Settings\Your_logon_name\AppData\Local\VirtualStor e\Program Files\VCarve Pro 4.6\ToolDatabase.

Give that a try. But I should add that I believe that the tool database for PartWizard (Vectric) is in a proprietary format. So, I don't think it will work.

Andy B.

Brady Watson
09-24-2010, 07:05 PM
PartWizard (an ArtCAM/DelCAM product) is not the same as PartWorks (a Vectric product).

PartWizard v3.2 may have the toolpath database in a folder named 'ArtCAM Files' sitting on: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ArtCAM Files

If you don't see a folder named 'ArtCAM Files' there, sniff around...there may be one named PartWizard Files or something like that. v3.x has a few differences in the file structure compared to v1 & v2.

Not sure why you would want to still use PW if you bought ArtCAM...

-B

jdervin
09-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Well, I sort of found it...

It turned out to be the original file I was looking at, located in:
C:\Program Files\ShopBot\PartWizard 3.2\Exec
...but it must be saved in a different format than that used by ArtCAM 2010. When I tried to open my custom version (by renaming it "tool_database.tdb"), Part Wizard crashed every time.

Interestingly, when I changed the names back to their original settings, all of my changes to the Part Wizard tool database had returned to their defaults. This makes me think that the changes are stored elsewhere, but I wouldn't begin to know where.

Brady Watson
09-25-2010, 12:57 AM
FYI - the program must be closed & re-opened for any changes to the tdb to take effect. The tool database is loaded at start-up ONLY.

-B