View Full Version : Proximity switches ignored

tcombs
09-27-2010, 06:02 PM
I have a PRTalpha96x48. I recently upgraded my control software from 3.6.5 to 3.6.24. I went through the firmware install routine. Everything seemed to work fine until I went to zero my x,y. The bot blew past the proximity switches and went into the hard stops. The proximity switches register when I use the keypad control to move it over them. I run the routine and watch the little light on the proximity switch come on as the bot runs right over it. The same thing happens with the z-zero plate.

I checked the input values for 1 and 3. Both had defaulted to std. I've played with them in all configurations. They are universally ignored. It's a little late to call ShopBot right now, so I thought I'd see if any kernels of wisdom came overnight before I make my phone call tomorrow. If not, I'll revert to the old control software.

The other note is my spindle speed control no longer works. I can change the speed manually, but it would be nice to have the software adjust as I wish. I have not explored all possibilities of this issue yet.

Thanks,
Tim Combs
Technical Director
DePaul University, The Theatre School

ken_rychlik
09-27-2010, 06:32 PM
This seems normal with the new software. You ain't the only one. The C2 should give trouble too if you dare to try it.

3.6.14 was pretty stable

I coppied my old xy zero routine and it works on mine.

knight_toolworks
09-27-2010, 07:38 PM
mine are backwards. they are ignored with the keyboard but work normally when zeroing. I like it.

Gary Campbell
09-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Tim...
When you upgrade and jump as many steps as you did, make sure you load the default settings for your machine. You may simply have PRS settings active and the prox are not compatable. A quick check would be to check the settings.

From the keyboard, [V] [N]
PRS would have switch 2 & 3 as normally closed limit.
PRT would have switch 2 as normally open limit.

To load default:
From keyboard [U] [R]
follow prompts to load default settings
when settings folder tree is visible, select those for your machine

tcombs
09-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Gary,
I tried your solutions and the bot continued to ignore the proximity switches during the zeroing routines. I've ended up downgrading my control software to 3.5.12 and have finally got it recognizing the switches. I'm behind schedule on some things now and will attempt to upgrade the software at a later date.
Thanks,
Tim

tcombs
01-13-2011, 09:26 PM
In case anyone was interested, I finally realized why my proximity switches had problems after a software upgrade. It's because ShopBot switched styles of prox switches from "normally open" to "normally closed". Once I upgraded my switches the zeroing routine works fine. Of course, I also needed a z prox switch, which my old bot didn't have, but the retro z axis does (just installed).

Consider this topic closed.
Tim

srwtlc
01-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Tim, couldn't you have just flipped the switch to use NO for your old switches under VN (Values Inputs/Outputs)?

tcombs
01-13-2011, 10:50 PM
I had tried that. Didn't work. Not sure why. I tried all the different settings I could find and was unable to make it work. Oh well. Water under the bridge.