PDA

View Full Version : Stereograms cut on a Shopbot? Wow!

cabindoors
12-07-2009, 04:07 PM
I've always been amazed with stereograms (A picture that when you look at for several seconds, a 3d image appears almost magically).

It dawned on me that they should be able to be cut on a Shopbot!

The following is a bit map of the one that I came up with.

Can you see the deer head in the picture? (There are people that are not able to relax their eyes enough in order to see it.)

This is a picture of what a Shopbot can do by just converting the image to vector and then V-carving the dark areas.

Also, I found out that if you have Aspire or Vcarve that you can make your own Stereogram from your own 3d carvings via a free program that I found on the net?

The steps are as follows:

1. Create a Depth Map. Here are the steps:
a. Import a 3d file into Aspire or similiar program. Adjust the x-y view prospective to your likeing by holding (shift key) along with mouse.

b. Now save a gray scale bitmap of your artwork in Aspire. You can also import any 3d vector file like .stl for example into Aspire.

2. Choose a background picture for your stereogram. Dense repetitive textures seem to work well. (bubbles, flowers, etc.)

I used a picture of an Indian Petroglyph with in our area. Or go out and take a closeup picture of some leaves hanging from your trees.

3. Download the free stereograph making program from http://www.garybeene.com/stereo/rds-soft.htm

Press "Freeware" and then "Stereogram Creator" by olej.com. This is the best and simplest one I've found and it works great!

4. This program allows you to save the resultant bitmap picture. From this saved picture that you created, import it into a program like Aspire and convert it into a vector (either 2d or 3d) and then cut it. It's that simple.

I think that the possibilities are exciting and maybe even very profitable. I plan on making a huge stereogram as a work of art. It would be interesting particularly if one used colored stains for example. You could cut one into foam and have a beautiful wall hanging.

I would really appreciate comments and possible variations of this idea from anyone!

Merry Christmas

Tom

bob_s
12-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Nicely done - although I do feel like I fell back into the late 1960's after staring at the images. Have you cut any of these yet?
Bob

jseiler
12-07-2009, 08:41 PM
What an awesome idea. I normally can do these magic eye things readily by looking at my own reflection in the glass of the frame, but on my antireflective monitor screen, no dice. Wierd. I think something like this could bring this back into vogue. I remember when these were novel, people were selling them in mall kiosks for 15-30 a shot, and that has to have been 15-20 years ago? Carvings could go for a lot more and have a lot of gee-whiz factor to them (like lithophanes, but faster to cut).

For people like me, I suspect finishing in gloss or putting them behind glass would really help people see the image.

John

navigator7
12-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Tom,
I can see the deer but it's flipped...right?
(IE Nose to the left?)

myxpykalix
12-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Tom help me understand something. Is stereograms the same as stereolithograpy?

I thought stereolithography was those dual pictures that people used those viewers back in the 20's that they held up to their eye to see.

If so aren't stereograms basically a illusion of the eyes? If so how could you translate that to a 2d object? I couldn't see any image in the pictures above.
This is interesting but I think i just don't understand.

Mayo
12-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Jack, check this out and it will help you understand what it is
http://www.vision3d.com/sghidden.html
Read the link "Secrets of seeing 3D" and after practicing you'll get it. It took me about 5 minutes until I got my eyes to do the right thing so it would work.
It's really impressive once you get your eyes trained and the 3D image pops up.

cabindoors
12-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Stereograms are not stereographs (which requires 2 pictures and a viewer.) Stereograms are also called SIS or SIRDS. They need a special program to create the picture which "tricks" your eye into focusing slightly differently if you stare at it long enough. (Try focusing behind the picture - it may help).

It used to be difficult for me, but just like riding a bicycle once learned I can see most stereograms almost instantly now.

Also, the free program can display your creation as a series of hundreds of vectored dots which can also be cut on the Shopbot.

I found a nice Harley Davidson .stl on the net which would sell like hotcakes at next summers art and crafts festivals ...don't you think?
And amazingly there are tons of .stl's (or other free 3d vector files) and even B&W depth maps on the internet.

Intestingly, some of my bas relief carvings I've made can also be given some depth by changing the "Base Z Position" and playing with the "tilt" within Aspire to create and export your B&W raster picture. Then just use this B&W picture in the free "Stereogram Creator" program I've mentioned above.

Have fun and I'd enjoy hearing of more uses and ideas that you may have.

Tom

myxpykalix
12-08-2009, 04:00 AM
Tom I did "The Famous Frankfurter Experiment"
so i get the basic concept now. It would seem to me that a perfect medium for this might be lithopanes as that may allow you to concentrate deeper into an object while still looking at it.

Another illusion of the eye that i found interesting was done by a shopbotter I think named ari krupnick (?) which created a picture thru a series of holes like a dot matrix printer so that if you held the piece close up you didn't get as good a view then if you looked at it from across the room. That I found interesting and i think this is along those same lines as a trick of the eye.
I will be watching for a finished piece to see if i can visualize it. Sounds interesting, good luck.

courtney2018
12-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Has anyone cut one of these out yet? I'd be very interested in seeing what it looks like. I might have a go of it later this week.

cabindoors
12-08-2009, 10:04 AM
I was also wandering if this picture could be cut on a Shopbot?

Wouldn't that be stunning if you had one of these hanging on your wall?

Tom

bob_s
12-08-2009, 11:09 AM
that would make an amazing inlay piece if it could be done.

myxpykalix
12-08-2009, 11:20 AM
OMG I hope it isn't just MY eyes but is that picture above moving?

john_l
12-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Yeh, I was gonna say they have to slow down first.