PDA

View Full Version : Machining HDU

gary_k
10-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Ususally I am able to figure things out on my own but when I am working with material that is over $400 per sheet for SF3, I thought I would ask before I just start cutting. I am using an 1/8" Taper Ball Nose and 1/4" end mill - I know you can run at faster feed rate but do I need special cutters and what is my maximum depth per pass with the 1/4" end mill?

My plan is to mount it to my machine with a few screws and double sided tape along with blocking it in on 4 sides - are there any better suggestions since I do not have a vacuum system?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.

Gary

joewino
10-13-2010, 09:07 AM
We just put screws in the corners to hold everything in place and that usually works fine. For smaller stuff that may have a tendency to get sucked up into the dust collector we will add carpet tape.

Here at our place we are not in a great hurry since fast production is not our goal. Most of the time our HDU (15# and 20#) is cut at about 120 to 150 IPM and we try to keep each pass at .5" but I'm sure the ShopBot is capable of much more. The detail work that is a part of our design usually has each process not requiring a lot of material removal. RPM is around 12,000.

Big-Tex
10-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Once you have sheet of HDU on machine and you know of area that will be left out for scrap. Create some simple pocket in waste side area and try running it.
See how your speeds work.

d_m_a_n
10-18-2010, 12:57 AM
HDU cuts like butter :)