View Full Version : CNC in Communty College

furnituremaker
10-23-2010, 11:35 AM
As a teacher of woodworking in the community college in Austin, Texas and a user of CNC in my own shop I am wondering if anyone is teaching CNC at the community college level?

ssflyer
10-23-2010, 12:05 PM
A friend taught it in High School, until they recently closed all the shop classes...

carlosgmarroquin
10-23-2010, 02:35 PM
I volunteer to teach CNC to high school kids in Guatemala.

hh_woodworking
10-23-2010, 03:49 PM
I don't know the exact location of them but there are several machines both in high schools and colleges around. I did have a high school program until this year shut down in budget cuts. I believe are a Jr college in northern Arkansas with one.

cip
10-24-2010, 06:14 AM
I understand that Palm Beach State College in Florida is offering a CNC program and I met a guy that teaches CNC at a high school in Boca Raton, FL.

Mike

gary_n
10-24-2010, 03:17 PM
You need to contact Ben McCoy--he pretty well knows several of the guys teaching CNC programs. If you look a little further down in this same thread you will see his name and contact information. Also Bill Palumbo knows of several teachers.

jensen87
11-02-2010, 07:26 PM
I teach some CNC at the high school level. In my woodworking class students create a 2-d engraving on the top of a stool they make, in cabinet building they will create a 3d carving on a raised panel door, in energy and power (intro class) they create a coaster design and cut it into corian (I need more suppliers) and in my pre engineering class students design and cut an interlocking catapult from a 18"x24" piece of baltic birch.

As far as CNC in woodworking at the community college level there is a program at Des Moines area community college called Architectural Mill work which does do some CNC.

Mike Jensen
Dubuque Senior High