PDA

View Full Version : Carving a duplicate Gun stalk

drodda
11-17-2006, 01:29 AM
Has anyone tried to probe and then duplicate a gun stalk? If so how did it work for you and any other tips or suggestions would be helpful. I am trying to help a friend out with a cracked stalk on his gun.

All tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Brady Watson
11-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Dave,
The SB probe would work well for the gun stock. Just set it up, and probe it as an SBP. Then you can either cut it as is, or if the scan is the broken piece that needs repair, bring it into ArtCAM, smooth it out and set it up to cut the newly repaired version. If you don't have ArtCAM, I'm sure there is someone here who can rework your probe file who does.

-B

paul_z
11-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Dave,

Does the stock have decorative carving?

Paul Z

drodda
11-17-2006, 11:49 PM
I am not sure if the stalk has decorative carvings but I do know it has a pattern or something on it. He is supposed to bring it by this weekend.
I am not a gun person so this one might sound wierd to some but he wants the new stalk to have a thumb hole?

Is this something that can be added to a probe file in artcam?

Thanks for the information and no I do not have artcam either.

-D

Brady Watson
11-18-2006, 01:43 AM
Dave,
You can add/subtract, clean, sculpt and do all sorts of things to the scanned data once it is pulled into ArtCAM...so yes, you can add a 'thumb hole' but I think you might mean 'thumb hold'.

-B

rick_woodward
11-18-2006, 03:09 PM
I think he means gun stock, also, instead of gun stalk. But we know what he means. Before i got my shopbot i had a legacy mill. I reproduced a forearm for a marlin 39A in walnut. There was some hand fitting and shaping to do. The biggest problem you will have no matter what you use will be fitting the barrel. This sounds like its a target gun with the thumb hole. Usually, they are very high precision guns with precisely fitted barrels. I think they call it,"embedding" the barrel in the stock. If you tackle this project, i would definetly fit the barrel first in the square blank.You are going to need that blank square to route for the barrel on edge. Then do the shape. This might be easier done on a legacy. For one thing, you dont have enough z height to route the blank on edge, unless you have a 12" z depth. It could be done in a vise and/or jig to use a hand plunge router. Then put the blank on the shopbot for the gunstock shaping. rick

kfitz
11-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Truthfully, it will be easier to just repair the cracked stock. If you want to duplicate and modify the existing stock on the computer/bot, I think the best way to do it is with a four position indexer. You can make the indexer with the bot. It doesn't have to be powered, but will simply hold the blank for you and index it in precise 90 degree increments. You will then create four cut files. You will want to also mic the barreled action, duplicate that in your software as well, then enlarge it slightly and subtract from the 3D model of the stock. The gap will be filled with an epoxy bedding compound. The barrel however should free-float for maximum accuracy, or at the most should be supported at two points by the stock in a vee configuration. Between probing, computer work, creation of the indexer, cutting the stock, and hand finishing and bedding, you will have MANY, MANY hours into this project when all is said and done. If you are thinking of doing this as a learning/problem solving exercise, it is perfect. If it is for pay, you will lose your shirt, pants, socks, shoes and anything else you are wearing at the moment. If it is a favor for a friend, you are either truly a great friend yourself, or you owe him big time.

dhunt
11-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Yes, I agree with Kevin... it's best by far to try to fix the existing stock.
I have limited knowledge and experience in the matter,
and think you don't quite realize what you're up against
re. efforts to duplicate the stock,
-and the precision recess into which the Receiver(not the barrel) fits.

If it's a shotgun, fitting the stock to an individual is precise work,
if only becoz the shooter's eye is the rear sight,
and therefore must be in the right position
when the shooter's cheek is snuggled down on to the stock.

Fix what you have.

drodda
11-21-2006, 12:46 AM
I appreciate all the responses on this question. This is a request by a friend and a very interesting challenge IMHO.

I do have a 12" Z axis and could probably produce the 4 position indexer that was mentioned above. I am not sure of the gun type or to what extreme the existing "Stock" is damaged?

Now for a little background on myself and my bot.

I purchased my Bot not with intentions of building a single project or product type but to be able to expand the challenge of solving complicated problems. I probably take more enjoyment from the time in solving the solution than seeing the finished product. This would not be at all a paying project but an experiment on duplicating somethng precisely in 3d. Complete with all the carving needed to join the Stock with the barrel and trigger mechanism.

Here is a thought? Can you probe on an indexer? Would you have to probe all four sides or can you probe the top and two sides?

I am asking these questions only to get some initial thoughts on how to attack this. I always get amazed at how some of the members here can come up with a new way to skin an old cat?

Once again thanks for all the words of encouragement and also the warnings of what I might be getting into. The way I see it at worst we end up with a very small piece of scrap wood and the knowledge of how not to copy a gun stock.

Wish me luck.

Dave