PDA

View Full Version : Solid surface cabinet doors

stevevarrow
11-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Has anyone come across solid surface material readily available in 3/4" thickness, I am considering using it for contemporary cabinets doors as it machines easily and requires minimal finishing, I have tried 1/2" material but euro hinges require a drilling depth of 3/8" leaving 1/8" face material.
Thanks.

oddcoach
11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't think anybody makes it in 3/4 inch anymore. I would just glue a piece on the back of the door just big enough for the hinge then mill it down to the thickness you want. i would put an extra hinge near the top. those doors are heavy.
hope this helps
John

bleeth
11-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Depending on color and manufacturer you can get 1/4" and laminate strips on the back to give you a 3/4" frame affect. I would also bore out the hinge. screw holes and epoxy in an insert for a machine screw. Number of hinges obviously depends on door weight and size.

Gary Campbell
11-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Steve....
Nice to see you popping up on the forum. Hope all is well in Nevis and say hi to those 2 pretty ladies you have at home.

I am with the Dave's R & M in that I dont think there is much if any 3/4 material made anymore. I do think one of the majors, mabe Corian, still has some 3/4 for sale, but in limited colors.

I did some medical cabinetry in the early 80's using 3/4 corian for doors. Heavy. Dont remember the exact Grass #, but they werent enough. I think I would try the lamination to get hinge thickness, at least until I found out if it was too labor intense to be profitable.

Good Luck, and let us know how it all works out.

rww
11-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Give these people a call. I know they sell 1/4", 1/2" and 1 1/4". They might sell 3/4" I don't know.

www.diamondsurfaces.com

stevevarrow
11-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks Guys, I saw an expensive kitchen here by Poggenpohl that had 3/4" Corian doors, I will try Diamond surfaces.
Hope you are not too cold up there in the North pole Gary.

benchmark
11-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Steve,

Here in the UK we have a material called Parapan a quality high gloss solid acrylic material available from http://www.parapan.co.uk/ Try http://www.element-designs.com

cabnet636
11-07-2010, 12:03 PM
chemcore/dovae/affinity several sell the chinese brands in 1.25, way to heavy for cab doors (imop)

stevevarrow
11-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Paul
I have looked on both the websites, looks like they are marketing the material as finished doors and drawers, do you know if it is available as sheets.
Steve

benchmark
11-08-2010, 02:11 AM
Steve,

In the UK it is only available in finished flat and curved finished doors and drawer fronts, it seems they only want to market the product this way.

Paul