PDA

View Full Version : Low cost Super-PID speed controller installation to Fixed speed Router

khalid
11-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Hi,
For the past 6-years i have been using Fixed speed chinese Router (25000RPM) for doing various wood related projects... I got this Router 4-year back for the amount of 35US dollar... This Router worked very well so far with following issues:

1- Frequent change of Bearings
2- High Noise
3- Can't machine plastic/acrylic/Aluminum at low RPM

To replace the above fixed speed router i have purchased another variable speed router (min speed: 10000RPM, Maximum Speed: 25000RPM), but due to heavy weight and slight modifications in Z-axis plate i never tried to install it...

Recently i have seen a thread on Super-PID speed controller at CNCZone and received one from RomanLini to test out on my DIY CNC machine...

Here is How it works:
"The Super-PID has an accurate LCD tacho with 48 bar power bargraph on the lower half of the LCD. This feature shows the percentage of power applied to the router at all times. The Super-PID can operate a fixed speed router within 5000~30000 RPM range.If it starts cutting, the power bargraph will rise to maybe 20-30% depending on the depth of cut and this is shown on the bargraph even though the speed stays at 5000 RPM or very close. The speed is controlled through Potentiometer"

Attached is one of the Picture of CarveOne Super-PID controller he recently commissioned.. You can see the LCD with speed and power bargraph...

The quality of the PCB and all accessories i got with it was awesome... Now, to install on my machine i started this thread so that if anybody interested for this low-cost speed controller can get help to see lot of pictures i will present here in future...

For now, i have one limitation of mounting the IR sensor as the Router Collete is not extended well to mount it as you can see the router picture...

However, I have a nice idea how to install the sensor in such a way that it will always be dust-proof and foolproof..

Since 8-month i never touched my CNC machine and yesterday i have to clean all the lead screws and ran the machine and i was astonished to get all the axes working without any smokehttp://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/smilies/nono.gif

I also installed XBOX 360 controller and now i can control miscellaneous functions of the machine standing near it...

erik_f
11-10-2010, 10:05 PM
http://www.kelinginc.net/CNCmillingcontroller.html

If you can't get this kit, maybe you could devise something yourself.

khalid
11-12-2010, 11:43 PM
http://www.kelinginc.net/CNCmillingcontroller.html

If you can't get this kit, maybe you could devise something yourself.

Hi Eric, unfortunately the website is not accessible.. I think my IT people have blocked it or whatever.. The Keling is unreachable for the past 4-years..

Some progresss on Super-PID..I have just purchased two small Fans about 2inch diameter to add to the Enclosure as a Force draft.. These Fans are unfortunately 12VDC but i will run them on 5 VDc, Roman just told me that a connection of +5VDC is available on Super-PID (I mis-interpreted, actually he told me to provide external +5VDC to super-PID)...I am running my CNC Router under 1.5Ton window air-conditioner in a small room so i think the addition of fans may rather more for fancy purpose...

I normally run my Router 8-hours straight so i think the fans at Super-PID enclosure will help dissipating minor heat and enhance the electronics life time...

Here is the picture in progress of the enclosure.. By tomorrow i will be able to complete the setup and trial run...

khalid
11-14-2010, 01:01 AM
As the Super-PID arrived, The installation of the sensor at the top suitable location was in my mind because i do not want to install the sensor near the Tool..This was to avoid from dust and possible damage during installation of tool...

The tube was made from the solid round bar and drilled and threaded on the lathe to accommodate the sensor... The sensor tip dia is greater then its cable so i have to de-solder the cable from the PCB insert the cable into the sleeve and about 8mm (the sensor tip)is extended outside the sleeve/tube.. But all things are rigid and no chance of deflection...

As you can see i have sandwich the router body and sleeve with two nuts and the holes are as per size of tube so again the whole setup is rigid... Now i have to epoxy the end of tube with sensor cable so that in the long run vibration does not loose it and through into the shaft... its easy part http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Other thing you must do to de-solder the sensor wire from the PCB and install a connector as i have done... This will make the router portable for maintenance etc.. You know well...

Thanks for all of you for the bright ideas.
Regards ___________

khalid
11-14-2010, 01:02 AM
Some pictures on the interior of the Super-PID...