View Full Version : Collapsable baskets...

harryball
04-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Has anyone figured out how to make collapsable baskets on the shopbot? Sort of like these...

They are mainly cut on a scrollsaw, very narrow kerf. I wondered if anyone is cutting these with an 1/8" bit or found a better way, does it work etc...?

Robert

paul_z
04-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Robert,

I think one could do it with a keyhole bit but there would be a spot where the diameter of the bit would cut through on each layer ... if one intentionally did that in four quadrants, it might look like it was "designed in".

Paul Z

srwtlc
04-15-2007, 11:56 AM
You might be able to do it with a 1/8" or smaller cutter with the proper cutting edge length. Easy enough to toolpath, give it a spin.

jhicks
04-15-2007, 12:19 PM
I can just see those inner rings banging around as soon as they are cut through. Should be able to run 1/8" bit down to .650 or.70 on .750 stock, then run through a surface sander to release the pieces by sanding off the back side.
Maybe even a tapered 2 degree 1/8" then flip over so edges interfere.
Interesting idea. Hope you figure it out and post photos.

randy
04-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Robert, I don't see how you can do this on a Bot unless you have a 4th axis. The cuts are made on an angle so that the top surface of one ring is slightly larger than the bottom surface of the next smaller ring in order for the parts to nest. Perhaps if you placed the material on a tilted turntable and rotated it under the Z-axis.

Randy

paul_z
04-15-2007, 04:11 PM
This could be done with a keyhole bit out of one piece of wood

This could be done in alternating pieces such as maple and black walnut

But the stresses released as the wood is cut may keep the pieces from fitting. Still, it might be worth a shot.

myxpykalix
04-15-2007, 04:14 PM
You trying to get something like this?

Well it can't be done! I shouldn't say that, someone will figure out a way.

This was done on a ringmaster and the blade was tilted at 22 degrees to get the rings to intersect at the right angle for a bowl. If you want them to fit like your example above i'm not sure what degree it would be.
I could see how possibly you could accomplish this with a flat piece of stock mounted on a turntable at a sprecific degree angle to the bit, leave the bot stationany, plunge down, rotate turntable. Move bot 1/4" repeat. It might be easier to just get yourself a used
"Ringmaster" which is what this was cut on.

harryball
04-15-2007, 05:18 PM
The single board is cut with a spiral on the inside. Generally you'd sit at a scroll saw tipped on an angle and cut the continuous spiral. Getting the spiral spacing just right is the challenge. When you are done you have a sort of spring, the bowl opens when you pick it up and collapses when you lay it down.

I suppose if I can find a 1/8" long enough and get an indexer face up at an angle... then again.

Robert

davidallen
04-16-2007, 09:31 PM
The best way would be to attach a scroll saw to the 'bot.

NO, don't move the saw.

Mount the saw at the end of the table. Use a spiral blade.

Mount a stepper in place of the router with a disk mounted on the shaft. (assign it to the A axis)

Use 2 sided tape to fix the wood to the disk.

Program the A and X axis to cut the pattern.

For the baskets, you'll need to slant the blade 4 deg.

That's almost as strange as mounting a lathe to it.

myxpykalix
04-16-2007, 09:53 PM
or just go buy a ringmaster...

bleeth
04-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Great thinking Dave. Not sure that the cost/value for it is quite worth it but if the same concept were used to create a telescoping sheath for a high-low table it would be a terrifically sexy component of the over all job. (Or maybe to conceal lifting or lowering hardware for a TV or maybe something else!!)
BTW: If anyone is thinking of lifting mechanisms the folks at Century Spring are really helpful and have a great stock of various expansion and compression springs.

Dave

gpari
04-17-2007, 01:18 AM
Am I missing something Jack? How would you make that with a ring master? I see how you can get concentric rings, but not a spiral...

Gabe

myxpykalix
04-17-2007, 01:36 AM
Gabe, I went back and took a GOOD look at the picture above and it is one long spiral like an apple peel as opposed to seperate rings as i thought originally so you are right.....

NEVERMIND.....!!! lol