PDA

View Full Version : Edge lit Acrylic Test

geometree
11-25-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm thankful for all the people who share their knowledge here, I have learned so much... So, I thought it was about time I posted something here others might find useful.

Here are a couple photos of my first test at an edge lit sign. The LEDs I bought off the shelf at walmart, in the automotive section. They came attached to a small battery that allows them to be tested out in the package. @ $20 for two 12" sticks they are a bit over priced but I was able to finally try this out, so it was well worth it as a test unit.

I carved this from the front, but found that it looked better from the back side. Next one I will mirror the text so it will be viewed from the smooth side of the acrylic.

I will be designing a stand around a 12" LED stick that will include a battery compartment and simple switch. As I work through this project in the next couple weeks I'll try to post sources for wholesale components and the files for the stand I come up with.

Here are the parameters for this sample:
The font is "flakes"
Toolpaths done in partworks
60v @ 2.00,1.00 ips
size was about 3"x15"
material is 3/16" acrylic with glass green tint, origin unknown

knight_toolworks
11-25-2010, 01:59 PM
good job. I just did my first but either my leds were not bright enough or it was the lexan I used (grabbed it in the scrap bin without looking to see it was not acrylic. I really like the idea of doing it from the back.

scottbot
11-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Steve,
Does that mean you can't use any old clear plastic for this technique? How do you tell one from the other? I've got a few pieces I want to try this on but don't have a clue what type of plastic it is.

Thanks.

Scott

knight_toolworks
11-26-2010, 11:39 AM
it may just be what I have it just seems to have a slight hint of smoke n it. but let me get some better leds and see.

knight_toolworks
11-26-2010, 11:59 AM
it may just be what I have it just seems to have a slight hint of smoke in it. but let me get some better leds and see.