PDA

View Full Version : Metal Coating/Patinas

garyb (Unregistered Guest)
12-02-2004, 08:29 AM
I'm looking for feed back from people who have used the metal coating type "B" from Sculpt Nouveau, particularly the bronze and pewter finishes in application to trupan ultralight.
The type of primer/sealer, (their in house primer or local paintstore), oil or water base and any do's or dont's that you may have discovered with the application.
thanks
Gary

billp
12-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Gary,
I have recently done a large sign using Trupan letters which were then coated with Sculpt Nouveau's Bronze "B" finish. I used epoxy as the primer for the letters, but I suspect that I could have just as easily used "Zinzer 123", or "Kilz" etc. ALL primers are hard enough when cured to give a good solid base for the SN materials.
I used the water based version of Zinzer for another recent job using their "B" coatings and that also worked out well. It seems that you just need a good base and the coating will easily flow onto it...For cost the WB Zinzer is the best deal; about $20 a gallon around here. Only problem with ALL of these primers is that you have to be careful about how much you apply to the surface, as even the water based variety gets VERY hard when cured, and sanding becomes a much longer process.

Brady Watson
12-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Gary,
Bill pretty much nailed it.

I use the SN materials on metal. I prime with either Rustoleum Professional primer, or more recently, Zinnser BIN shellac, as a barrier coat for the metal. I imagine that the BIN would be prefect for Trupan as well since it will seal it and you can spray it with HVLP.

You will need probably 2-3 coats of the type B to get good coverage...probably more with the pewter and iron (they are rather thin). All others 2-3.

I recently started using their clear WB sealer (SN) and it is an awesome product. It is very low gloss/matte and goes on with HVLP. I don't really like the Diamond Vogel primer that they sell because it is rather thick and can't really be sprayed.

If you are doing a patina, have it ready in a squirt bottle. Spray it on liberally after you have completed spraying the last coat. You have to apply it to a wet coat...the patinas are awesome. Tifffany green works well with the coatings...not all patinas will work. If in doubt, call Debbie @ SN.

-Brady

12-02-2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks Bill,
Your answer was what I was leaning towards doing. The other part I was planning on trying was sponge texturing the primer in the background area's, a simple and quick method to obtain the beaten metal look I hope!
Are you mostly spraying the "B" finish and can you tell me what sort of coverage you get from a gal?
thanks Gary

12-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Hey thanks Brady,
Between you and Bill you pretty much covered my concerns. Presently not planing on working with the patinas just the type "B" bronze and pewter for an upcoming project but will make a note to talk to Debbie re patinas for future work.
gary

billp
12-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Gary,
Obviously it will depend upon your application method, but I find that when using a simple HVLP gun I seem to use almost NO material at all. It's incredibly thin so as Brady says above, multiple coats make a lot of sense. For the "weather beaten look": you can simply use their black wax on top of the pewter, and it looks as though the coating is now deeper and older. An amazing transformation for just a few wipes of the cloth. However if you DO use their waxes wipe them off after NO MORE than 30 seconds or you'll be there with a toothbrush for a LONG time......