PDA

View Full Version : Indexing to a specific reference point.

nodnerb
12-09-2010, 02:53 PM
I was wondering if there is a way to index to a specific reference point in space on the table. Basically I have some existing parts that I'd like to modify on the shopbot, if possible, instead of remaking them. So how do I reference my start point in the virtual world to match a start point in the physical world? Or is that even possible with the shopbot? I have 4 holes that I can use as reference points in the corners of all the parts that I'd like to use.

Thanks for any help.

Gary Campbell
12-09-2010, 06:02 PM
bpm...
layout a drawing that has your shape on it. Locate your 4 holes on the shape and group them all. Move this group to your desired location. Now drill the holes into the spoilboard or a sheet a scrap that fastens down to the table.

Here are some pics of a jig we use for parts we mfgr. It holds 33 of one size and 15 of 2 different larger sizes.

first pic, back(bottom) view. 2nd is closeup of back cuts. 3rd is top view. 4th is closup of top. note our index pin that locates the jig.

Construction is 3/4 melamine. AllStar self adhesive gasket covered the sheet and then 1/8 deep dados for the dividers cut with downshear bit. innner (gasket) cuts were .06 deep 3/8 hole.

knight_toolworks
12-09-2010, 06:04 PM
several ways. with a plotter pen you can draw the part on the table then set it on the table. you can drill the holes in your table or some scrap that the part will sit over with the holes it has. you could pocket out the part out of some mdf and set it right in the pocket.

gc3
12-09-2010, 08:00 PM
well...

i learned the hard way...i taught my self how to do it...

now if you do a forum search you will find the answers to your questions :rolleyes: from long ago...

ok my 2 centavos

nodnerb
12-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Ok thanks for the help guys!! Going to try a few things out today.