PDA

View Full Version : Computer not communicating with ShopBot

ascentone
12-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Computer not communicating with ShopBot

We recently sent our spindle in to have the bearings replaced and in the meantime we disconnected the computer and ShopBot control box so that we could relocate everything. We also needed to replace a bad power supply in the computer. After we reinstalled the spindle, hooked everything back up, started the computer and opened the control program it gave us a failed to connect message in a small yellow box. We went through all the main troubleshooting measures and we believe the issue is that the system is missing the appropriate drive, possibly the "ATEN USB to Serial Bridge". We tried uninstalling and reinstalling the control software (which the ShopBot site states includes the necessary drivers), but even after this the only driver that is displayed in the device manager is "ShopBot(com3)". We do not have an original software CD that would have those drivers on them, and being that it is a Saturday ShopBot Technical Support is not available.

I think what we need is the location for a download of the appropriate USB to Serial Drivers as well as instructions on how to install them. We do currently have such a file on our computer but it does not install the drivers when run.

Our computer/controller specs are:

SB Control Software: v.3.6.28
Table: PRT Standard 60x120 with 4G board.

Any help here will be much appreciated as we need to get up and running asap.

srwtlc
12-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Michael,

The drivers for "ATEN USB to Serial Bridge" are in C:\Program Files\ShopBot\ShopBot 3\Drivers\IOGEAR GU232A.

Are you sure you plugged the USB cable into the same port as it was before? It should have picked up right where it left off at.

If there is something device manager under ports that looks like the "ATEN USB to Serial Bridge", you should be able to right click on it and choose update driver.

Check SB's site for older ones. http://www.shopbottools.com/mSupport/drivers.htm

wberminio
12-18-2010, 05:21 PM
If you leave a message Tech Support will call back-even on a Sat!

ascentone
12-18-2010, 06:13 PM
I tried installing drivers from C:\Program Files\ShopBot\ShopBot 3\Drivers\IOGEAR GU232A... no luck. Also tried copying & installing winxp drivers by downloading from SB's support page on the website... no luck. I do not see anything like ATEN USB to Serial Bridge in the device manager. I am not sure if it's plugged into the same USB port, but I have tried all 3 ports. We upgraded to the new control software, so do I need to update the control box firmware? If I try updating the firmware using the command under utilities, it doesn't seem to load or do anything? Any other advice will be appreciated!

srwtlc
12-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Depending on what version you had before, you may need to update the firmware, but you need to get that USB to Serial adapter working first. I'm sure you've tried unplugging and replugging the adapter. Did you have it on a hub? Is that working? Is the little led on it lit up? Maybe it's now dead after disconnecting everything. They do go bad. Good idea to have a backup on hand.

wberminio
12-18-2010, 09:43 PM
When you update the firmware you need to select update-
then Turn Off you Sb control box for 30 sec and= then Turn On the box.
That will start the down load of the firmware.
It's easy to forget if you haven't done it in awhile

ken_rychlik
12-19-2010, 08:12 AM
You can NOT upgrade the firmware until after you have communication established.

I had lots of trouble with the oem cable and I bought a radio shack serial/usb converter cable. It has been working good for me.

ascentone
12-20-2010, 10:41 AM
After double checking the connections, we discovered a loose wire & that solved the issue. Appreciate everyone's help!!