PDA

View Full Version : Egg Shape Indexer Toolpath

kubotaman
12-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Just thinking out loud. I have a question. What would be the possibility of a person using Aspire or Partworks to turn a egg shaped cylinder while also being tapered, on the indexer and then wrapping a design or 3d around it? Is it possible without editing the toolpath. Just have a few minutes thinking what the possibilities with the indexer are. :eek:

myxpykalix
12-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Well since no one else answered i'll take a stab at it. To answer your questions:
1. Good
2. Yes

I know that really doesn't answer your questions, so i'm assuming you want to know (how) to go about doing that, right?

Well I can answer in general terms and not specific on this pgm.

Lets assume you have a vase that you want to turn which has what i refer to as "compound curves" .

You would use probably the left profile vector as your "control" vector to give you your curves and the square part would be the section you would reserve for your onlay of 3d relief. I guess you would do this as a 2 rail sweep?

You would have to measure using pi for your diameter/circumference to match up with the width and height of your carving which would determine the square part of the vector.

I am assuming that this would have to be a two different file operation, one for the shape, one for the carving which while i'm thinking about it would have to also be guided by the part of the curve that covers the square area otherwise it would be cut as if it is a flat surface and i'm assuming you want your carving to follow the curve of the vase.

I know this isn't specific to your program but hopefully it 1) is the right way to do it and 2) it gives you some further help to get you going.

jdervin
12-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Not really an answer to your questions, but here's a link to a short thread involving actual eggs on the indexer:

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10626&highlight=easter

olf20
12-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Over on the Vectric forum there is a long thread
discussing some of this. Here is the link to the page.
http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6449&start=15
2nd post down.
Hope this helps!!
olf20 / Bob