PDA

View Full Version : Broken Probe Styli

dougo
12-23-2010, 10:44 PM
I broke the tip of my styli (that doesn't sound right but that's what the manual says it is) off flush with the end of the probe. What is the best way to get the remaining part of the styli out of the probe. I don't think they make screw extractors that small.

thanks,
Doug

Gary Campbell
12-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Use a small left hand drill bit in a low power battery drill

dougo
12-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the reply Gary. Makes sense, now I need to find a small left hand drill bit.

Now for question #2:
I saw on the forum where the styli can be ordered from MSC Supply and to get the ones by SPI. I think the styli I broke was 1/8" but all I see on MSC website are in metric. Do I just order the metric that is closest to 1/8"? Also, the styli have different thread sizes. What size does the Shopbot probe use?

Sorry about all the questions but I called myself looking through the forum and the Shopbot website but did not find the answers.

Gary Campbell
12-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Doug...
I have a probe, but havent used it. If I remember correctly, you need to probe with the same bit that you intend to cut the generated file with. I dont know what size the thread is. A call to SB is in order. They may have the parts or know where/how to get a proper replacement

LH drills from MSC or Mc Master.

John David
12-24-2010, 11:03 AM
I found a set of screw extractors at the local hardware store that would take out a 4-40 screw for about $20 they worked great. I dont have them here with me but Monday I could get you the name brand if you need it.
Good Luck

JD

ssflyer
12-24-2010, 04:05 PM
If it's not too tight (and it shouldn't be) just try some super glue on a rod, and back it out.

I broke one on mine, and ordered a replacement from ShopBot. I think it was under $25, but don't remember, for sure...

Ron

dougo
12-25-2010, 05:36 AM
I appreciate all the suggestions guys. Surely one of these should work.

thanks again,
Doug

myxpykalix
12-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Doug,
I broke my stylus THREE times and sent it back to shopbot and they fixed it for me for free (because it was wired wrong to begin with) but I would bet they will fix you up.

dougo
12-26-2010, 04:48 AM
Sounds like a call to Shopbot is in the near future with a few questions.