PDA

View Full Version : chineese birch,,,memamine

coach
12-26-2010, 05:49 PM
I have been using chinees birch 3/4" pre finished 1 side for my cabinet parts. I have been bidding lower than guys using melamine.
My prices are due for a medium increase. What is an alternative to the china birch p/f 1 side? I pay about 25.00 per sheet these days.
I don't wanna use melamine,,,,,,too heavy.
I dont wann use hardwood ply....too expensive.
90% of my work is apartment buildings in the rough parts of town.
Lot of section 8.
The birch irritates me when it delaminates. I would like a slightly better product.
any suggestions?
Thanks, Dave

Gary Campbell
12-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Dave...
Whittelsey Wood in MIA has a great, albeit slightly more expensive PF product. I cut 14 sheets of the Chineese junk (from Dixie) and never went back. If you figure in parts lost to delam and bits ruined by hitting metal in the sheets, not much different overall cost.

ken_rychlik
12-26-2010, 09:34 PM
David,

The pre-finished two sided is more stable.

From one supplier to the next, and one load to the next it can all be different.

It is possible to buy junky "us" stuff and good china stuff, although not that common. I used to think US or not at all, but I have been burned by some delams and junk that way also.

Something better for $25 a sheet probably ain't gonna happen.

If you buy a fresh unit that has not been setting in the wharehouse a long time you may have better luck.

If your supplier is a good one, you should be able to swap the delams for another sheet. I know it's still a pain.

dlcw
12-27-2010, 08:14 PM
I won't touch imported plywood. I had a $150 plywood blade ruined when I cut a piece of this junk and hit metal.:mad: I've cut in to other pieces and found rubber, plastic and more bits of metal. Add this to the high delamination factor and to me it is a loosing proposition. I tell customers that I use AMERICAN made plywood and several have clapped in appreciation. My customer base in very supportive of American products. I know other areas of the country aren't this supportive though.

18 months ago I built a hickory kitchen (75 sheets of plywood) and had one sheet of the hickory plywood delam in one corner and one piece of prefinished American maple plywood with shoe prints under the finish :confused: but the supplier replaced and delivered immediately.

chunkstyle
12-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Something else to consider is what the heck your breathing when you're cutting into the imported stuff. I'm all for making a buck but not when it comes to health. The imported stuff gives off quit a bit of foul odor.
Lead in toy paint, high sulfar in drywall, who's to say what's in the adhesives from these materials.
Just a thought.