PDA

View Full Version : Material sizes mm and inches

dingenis
04-02-2008, 07:21 AM
hi,
i am working on a design that i want to make available to other shopbotters.I am working in europe and am familiar with standard sizes of sheetmaterial here.

more specific here we have 18mm plywood and 15 mm,sheetsize 1220mmx2440mm, and 1250mmx2500mm.regular available in every store.
What are standard sizes in the usa and uk?
like 3/4 inch sheetmaterial is that 19.05 mm?

thanks
dingenis

ckurak
04-02-2008, 09:03 AM
dingenis,

I am in the USA. Here are some quick numbers from past experience.

I often use 3/4" plywood. However, often it is not 19.05mm. It usually is 18.5mm. But not always. And, my 3/4" melamine is usually about 19.3mm.

And, the sheet sizes can be 48x96, 48.5x96.5, and 49x97.

It can be pretty confusing at times.

Charles

hespj
04-02-2008, 01:02 PM
In the UK plywood is almost always 1220 x 2440mm.

18mm is common, although it sometimes seems to measure 18.5mm; 15mm isn't common but is available; 12mm is the next common size down.

John

chiloquinruss
04-02-2008, 10:46 PM
dingenis - can you make the code table relative? That is write the code that is relative to what ever the user has selected as the processing type. If MM is selected it would be code + MM table values, if US is selected it would be code + US code. Is this a possibility. I've NOT done much coding for the Bot but I have done tons of computer coding in a past life!
We used all kinds of tables so that we didn't have to keep messing with the base code only the tables. Just a thought. Russ

dingenis
04-03-2008, 05:06 AM
hi,
john,charles,

just what i needed,
the thing i'm working on is a one sheet design , "cheap " construction plywood all cuts and pockets are trough full material using a 1/4 inch cutter,and drilling all the way through with or whitout tabs.
I think it works out that i can make the design fit whitin the range of 18 to 19 MM, there are not much critical dimensions in the design ., no depth critical pocketing etc.
A number of holes for " tubes and bolts" in it will be parametrical , so anyone can use just what they have lying around or what is available around the corner.
holes will be in the range from 16 to 20 mm.
bolts M8to M10

It is an accessory for my shopbot workshop ,and people visiting were impressed by its functionallity.But what they saw was a very rough prototype made for my own use.Practical for me, but not for someone else.

I would very much like to show it to you all,but in finishing the design it turned out to be quite nice and (maybe) interesting for other markets as well.
Oops so now i first have to register the full design here in Netherlands, europe.And find out how to protect my rights in the USA.

Russ,

- can you make the code table relative?

right now it is all partfiles in MM,and the parametric part is using the cp command that i write in shopbots basic .,
once it is finished i can make a Inch version,
The parametric part is not even really necessary, could also be done using some different partfile for possible holesizes.

I Was thinking of making a straightforward Dxf of the toolpath and tabbing file (using 1/4 inch cutter), and a file with location and size of holes for users of other machines.
is that what you mean?

I contact the project wizard team, maybe it is interesting enough to put it there

grt
dingenis