PDA

View Full Version : Partworks Tool Path ?

archis
01-11-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm confused about the toolpaths generated by Partworks. I expected them to be entirely Open SBP, but it seems that's not the case.

Below is a snippet of my tool path and it has several commands that don't appear in my command reference. Specifically the TR and the "C" commands. What language are these commands? Are they documented somewhere?

Thanks

IF %(25)=1 THEN GOTO UNIT_ERROR 'check to see software is set to standard
SA 'Set program to absolute coordinate mode
TR, 14000
'
'Toolpath Name = Pocket 1
'Tool Name = Straight 1/2" 48-072
&Tool =4 'Jog Z axis to safe height
c9
TR,14000
C6 'Return tool to home in x and y
PAUSE 2

Gary Campbell
01-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Jim...
Those commands are ShopBot code.

TR,***** sets the spindle rpm
C* or CN,** runs a custom cut file (like the C2 to home x&y or the C3 to zero the z

You will notice that there are a number of errors, at least in the text notation in some of the later postP's such as in your example.

the remark on the "&tool=" line is an error
the remark after the "C6" is also an error. The C6 should callup the MTC or ATC "ON" file. Which would start a spindle or router

The help menu will give access to some of the latest docs.

archis
01-12-2011, 06:50 AM
Gary,

I looked for the commands in my written documentation and on the http://www.opensbp.com/ site and could'nt find them. That's why I'm confused. I figured the TR command was a spindle RPM command but wanted to see the full details of the command.

The help menu that you mentioned, is that in the shopbot control program? If so I'll look there for the latest command documentation once I set up my Bot computer. I'm still in the soundproofing and wiring phase of my Buddy install.

As to the errors, will any of these errors prevent the part from being cut? I did notice that some of the comments in my tool path looked wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Gary Campbell
01-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Jim...
Yes, acces the help from the SB3 console top menu. There may be more if you look on the ShopBot website, Look for documentation.

Those erroneous remarks will not cause any problems, just may confuse a new user.

ken_rychlik
01-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Jim,

Does your Buddy have an auto tool changer and a spindle with speed control board on it?

If yes, then thats fine.

If no, then you can choose a different post processor that won't put the other information in there.

archis
01-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Ken,

It's a brand new Buddy Alpha with the HSD spindle, so I assume it has the speed control board.

Is there a tool changer for the Buddy?

ken_rychlik
01-12-2011, 09:52 AM
If you didn't pay 15 thousand extra it won't have a tool changer. Actually, I don't think they offer it on the buddy, but I wasn't sure of that. The files that have tool change info will have the C6,C7, and C9 commands. Those are cutting off the spindle, changing tools, and restarting the spindle.

The speed control for the spindle is an option. Not a standard thing that comes with a spindle.

It won't work with a porter cable router, but if you bought yours with a spindle you can order the speed control board for it.

Nancy
01-12-2011, 10:33 AM
You can find a description of the ShopBot commands in the Command Reference for the ShopBot Control Software and OpenSBP Language
at http://www.shopbotdocs.com/Command-reference.html

archis
01-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the info on the Speed control Board, I didn't order that but it looks like it not too expensive.

Without the speed control board, are there any commands that work with the spindle?

ken_rychlik
01-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Turning the spindle on and off is all you can do without the speed board. You manally set the speed at the vfd.

I wouldn't worry about getting one until you have some time on the machine. Then if you need or want it, you will know why.

archis
01-13-2011, 06:53 AM
Nancy,

I started this thread because I could not find documentation for the "TR" and "C" commands. I checked the url you provided and still could not find any documentation for these commands, did I miss them?

Nancy
01-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Jim
You are correct - those are not included. Another item for our todo list. However, the recently updated search on the www.shopbottools.com homepage now searches www.shopbotdocs.com and www.shopbotblog.com as well as the www.shopbottools.com site and did give several results for TR that might be of interest.

ted
01-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi Jim,

Let me elaborate a bit since the documentation is a bit lacking on these two ShopBot Commands.

TR, ##### is the Command to set/change the spindle RPM if you have a spindle speed controller. It has been added to the regular ShopBot OpenSBP Commands, but was overlooked in the most recent update to the documentation. We'll get that fixed.

The TR Command is written by the current Part Works posts, but the Command is ignored by the software if is a speed controller is not attached to the system. You will see the Command listed in the ShopBot menu dropdowns under tools.

More generally, this Virtual "Tool" system was created so that users/developers can create add-in software that runs within the context of ShopBot. If you have an interest in such things, there is a brief description of how to create and install them in the VirtualTools.ini file in the C:/Program Files (x86{if 64bit})/ShopBot/ folder. There is a more complete explanation in the context of "Advanced Start Up Information" in the Programming Handbook (accessed under Help > Developers).

With respect to the "C" Commands, note that there are a number of standard and well-documented "Cuts" such a CC for Cut Circle (or arc or arch, etc). There is a secondary set of numbered "Cuts" that we think of as Custom Cuts (or macros). We have pre-programmed a number of these with standard functions, such as C2 to set the Zero location for the Z axis using the ZZero plate, and C3 to set the Zero locations for X and Y axes using the prox switches. While C2, C3, and a couple others have become relatively standard for ShopBotters for use either from the keyboard or in posts, in general the C+numbers are fully programmable. For numbers 1-9 you can call them with the two letter commands, as in C2. For numbers above 10 and below 80, you can call the routine with CN, ## [In the old days, we used C# rather than CN, but the # keystroke is not supported on all computers, thus we changed to CN. For compatability, within a file, you can still use C#].

A Custom Cut is just an OpenSBP Part File with an .sbc extension and saved in the C:\Sbparts\Custom folder. The file can contain a sequence of ShopBot Commands to excute, or it can contain an FP Command that calls up another file.

We will get a chapter about Custom Cuts included in the next version of the Programming Handbook. For the moment, to learn more about Custom Cuts, go to C:/SbParts/Custom and open the file Custom_.sbc or Custom23.sbc. These files provide a template for entering your own Custom Cut (macro). You can also open any of the other numbered Custom files to get a good example of how they work. It's a great way to automate a routine that you use frequently.

Now ... a little word of warning. We got a little carried away in using the 0-9 Custom Cut numbers for routines that posts would call. We should have made these higher numbered Custom Cuts, for example Custom34.sbc (called with CN,34), because we only use these in the posted file and it wastes one of the two letter Cuts that would otherwise be available for programming by users. We plan to remedy this soon (we're working on doing this in a way that does not screw everybody up). But at the moment, there are only two of the 0-9 numbers that are generally available for programming: C4 and C8. If you decide to reprogram any of the others, note that you might interfere with one of the PartWorks post routines. Also, when we install new software we overwrite the lower numbers except Custom4 and Custom8, UNLESS you check the box to not overwrite the lower numbers.

Well ... probably a bit more than anyone wanted to know. And, we will be working to get more of this into our documentation. Note that we are working to get everything we know, current on: www.ShopBotDocs.com (http://www.ShopBotDocs.com).

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools

beacon14
01-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the clarification Ted.

What about numbers higher than 79? I thought all 2-digit numbers were usable.

archis
01-14-2011, 06:53 AM
Thanks to the Shopbot folks for the help.

I'm coming from a software background (and not a woodworking/machining background), so I'm really trying to get a good understanding of the command set. I haven't even fired my Buddy up yet, maybe this weekend :)

beacon14
01-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Never mind, I was curious because I was in the process of re-vamping all my Custom Cuts as part of the Retro-Z axis upgrade. I had been planning on using CN,88 and CN,87, and it turns out they work just fine.

So can we go higher than 2 digits? Guess I'll have to try it and see - although 99 Custom Cuts really should be sufficient for the foreseeable future.

Gary Campbell
01-14-2011, 09:55 PM
David...
Please note that you only speak for yourself! :)

Some could be limited by 12 inputs/outputs and only 99 CN,#'s ;)

dlcw
01-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Ted,

Thanks for the detailed writeup. Another documentation area that needs some work is on the system variables. Personally, I would like to know more about them:

- what they are used for (some are self explanatory)
- what the allowed values are
- what each one of those values means and is used for
- interactions and inter dependencies with other system variables
- effects on the operation of the machine

These are just some ideas of information that would be very valuable to have for these variables.

Any chance we can get this document process started in the next release?

THANKS!