PDA

View Full Version : another dust foot

frank134
01-11-2011, 10:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezl6j_LAJHI

This is a work in progress. I took a little from each of you that have designed a dust foot. The one thing that got to me was the big 4” vac hose. It was either in the back where I could not see it and then hit a clamp or something with it or it was in the front and blocks my vision. I found the rectangle tube I am using does a good vac job. Also I can make the bottom plate with different lengths of hair. Now that I know it will work I will clean it up so it not so rough looking.

crewdog
01-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Very nice Frank. Very simple but looks very functional.
I too have had issues with bring a 4" diameter dust hose close to the spindle. My question is whether there is a loss in performance by decreasing the diameter to the square tube? Second, are you just using the friction of the square tube inside the side pieces (made of plexiglas?) to maintain the position of the dust shoe?

frank134
01-12-2011, 11:16 PM
I have not lost any vac. At least it pick up just like before, when I had shopbot and gary dustfoot. Both of which I broke hitting thing. I use the little air cylinder at got with the dust foot I got from gary. you can also drill and tap a hole in the front were it come up through the z axis.
thank for the comment.

gundog
01-13-2011, 02:41 PM
I have a couple questions how is that bottom piece held on are those magnets?

Unrelated is your drill a home brew setup if so I would like to see more?

Thanks Mike

frank134
01-13-2011, 09:20 PM
yes the bottom is held on by five 1/8 x 3/8 magnets. I pland on making the two bottom plate out of clear plastic. The drill is from shopbot oem.

gundog
01-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the info Frank.

jeffreymcgrew
01-22-2011, 01:25 PM
We did something similar, but on the front of our spindle instead of to the side (PRT gantry and no drill head, so...).

We used a 6" round duct however, with a 6" flex hose back to the cyclone. Now we have to be careful when cutting anything small without tabs, unless we want to be fishing it out of the dust bin. :D

It does a great job. If your dust collector can take the volume, I'd recommend upping the size of the duct to 6". The vertical pickup style works wonderfully, and never gets in the way.

plemon
01-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Can you show us a piccie of your 6" setup. Great timing too this thread as I finally smashed my dust extractor to pieces and an now designing a new one.

frank134
01-23-2011, 01:32 AM
I made the smaller one so it wouldn’t get in the road. I thought the 4” was too big I try it in the back , front and side. I couldn’t see what the bit was cutting. So I made the 1x3 on the side and it seem to be picking up the dust real good and the brush is not getting suck up into it. Thank for telling be that those. I hope someone come up with one even better till then I stick with this. My dust collector is 3 hp and 30' away from the bot and it outside. All 6" metal pipe except 15 feet of 4" to the bot and then the plastic 4" hose about another 10'