PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive for timing belt

tlempicke
01-15-2011, 01:34 PM
I want to build a completely belt driven clock. (Hey way not?)

My plan is to use 1/4 inch series XL belts and the associated pulleys to run it from a synchronous motor.

Has anyone had any experience splicing these belts? I can easily make up a jig to hold the belts in the right position and in the right time but what then do I use to join them and also what type of an adhesive works well with these things?

I plan to make the rest of the clock out of clear acrylic and want to use a 72 RPM motor to supply the drive so that the belts will actually be moving. That means 24 hr a day flexing.

Brady Watson
01-15-2011, 03:43 PM
You really can't 'glue' belts together...You can get the belts as a continuous loop, like any other belt, or a long length that you can then clamp at the two ends. The latter may be a method that you had not thought of yet.

-B

tlempicke
01-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Problem with endless belts is that I need some strange sizes to made the project work. The folks that manufacture these must fasten them together somehow?

John David
01-16-2011, 11:40 AM
At one time when I had alot of extra time, I started a mechanical clock like you describe using belt from here

http://www.brecoflex.com/

erat belt and I have purchased it up to 150 feet long. and you may be able to get it even longer

Good Luck

JD

tlempicke
01-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks. I guess they can make just about anything you can imagine, beltwise