View Full Version : DIY reset/spindle start pendant...

geneb
01-16-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm looking at building a remote reset & spindle start box for my 'bot so I can mount the control box on the wall instead of at the end of the 'bot. The reset button uses a 3PST switch. Is there any reason from the standpoint of the controller electronics that I couldn't use 3 SPST pushbuttons instead?

Electrically it would be no different from the current switch, but I don't know if the controller would be offended at all three contacts closing simultaneously. I could always build a Rube Goldberg, trident looking actuator to hit all three SPST buttons at once, but it would be a lot less complex to avoid that. :)

(I ask because I've got the buttons in bench stock and I can't find the AEG switch that ShopBot uses in the controller)

Thanks folks!

g.

beacon14
01-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Why not use the existing switch and just relocate it? That's what I did with the green Start button.

geneb
01-17-2011, 09:36 AM
I thought of doing that, but I decided I'd rather keep the control box unmodified. Adding a new reset switch is trivial, finding the OEM 3PST switch is not. :)

g.

Gary Campbell
01-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Gene...
Not trying to state the obvious here, but if the OEM switch is NO then put another in parallel. If it is NC, put another in series. You will need to copy this AND the momentary contact aspect of the switch.

The spindle start is NO SPST momentary contact wire another in parallel.

There are a number of posts where others have shown pics of this.

or buy the remote pendant from SB and wire it in.

geneb
01-17-2011, 09:00 PM
It wasn't the circuit that I was concerned about - paralleling a switch is a trivial task. What I needed to find out is if it was safe to do it with three, non-linked SPST pushbuttons. I contacted ShopBot about it today and was told that there should be no issue.

I've got a pile of arcade style pushbuttons I needed to find a use for as well. :) I may just mechanically link three microswitches to be activated by a single button just to keep it small.

g.

ken_rychlik
01-17-2011, 09:56 PM
The reset button only has to be pushed once each morning, unless you have a problem.

A few folks (me included) have hot wired the start button. You still get the prompt on the screen and have to hit enter to start the spindle anyway. I know it's a safety thing, but it gets kind of excessive with the push,, push,,push... all day long.

The big red button is the only one I put an extra one on each side of the machine.

geneb
01-18-2011, 12:38 PM
I have to pull the right side of my Y car against the stop before I hit the reset button, otherwise the machine won't cut square. That's why I ended up mounting the control box to the end of the machine in the first place. If it's on the wall, I need a left arm that's at least 8 feet long to be able to hit the stupid button.

g.