PDA

View Full Version : First Sign

plemon
01-24-2011, 05:57 AM
Here is my first paid sign. It's made from all recycled timbers (and stainless). The bits are Jarrah (body), bloodgum (frame) and yellow cedar for the text. It's one heavy puppy at 2.4m long x 1.2m heigh and 40mm thick. The 1.7mm stainless steel logo was also cut on my shopbot.

http://www.fiddlebacktimber.com/images/slideshow/lyss_sign_front_467x266.jpg

toych
01-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Nice job Phil.

That is good looking wood,what finish did you use?

Could you share a little about your process for cutting the stainless?

Darren

marysvillesign
01-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Nice work with enough details teasing the eyes to linger and rich tones.

kevin
01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
very classey no pun

nice work

plemon
01-24-2011, 03:59 PM
The frame and background were oiled with tung oil and then everything was sealed with an oil based marine grade polyurethane. I let the tongue oil cure for about five weeks before applying the poly. It seems to have bonded well. I used the tung oil because it gave the nicest darkening on the jarrah, otherwise I would have just put a poly straight on.

The stainless was a pain in the arse. I flute channeled a bit of ply so coolant would run off the sacrificial board back into the little tank I hand. I've got a single bladed cutter with replaceable blades which cuts nicely but I needed to keep the piece flooded while cutting using a little pump system. It was all held down with double sided tape and screwed in the corners. I won't be cutting stainless again as I have found a laser cut place that does a great job and cheap. The shopbot did nice edges and because the steel was thin it didn't take too long. I'm just going to stick to dry cutting aluminium.