PDA

View Full Version : dovetail box

loriny
02-02-2011, 08:46 AM
On the message board there was talk of the dovetail boxes. How many tool changes would be needed to cut the thermwood version of a dovetail on plywood?
Lorin

Gary Campbell
02-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Lorin...
Thermwood sells 2 bits as dovetail set. I am assuming that one is the angled bit and the other an outline tool. So my GUESS is one TC and no more than 2 if another outline tool is required.

loriny
02-02-2011, 07:45 PM
I looked at a demo video. I suspect a pass almost through, then the dovetails and then cut out. I'll check with thermwood maybe.
Thanks Gary
Lorin

frank134
02-02-2011, 11:21 PM
I talk with therwood and it one bit. I forgot the price, but it wasn't bad. It come with a little booklet on how to set it up. It look simple like everything else . I haven't try it so far as I am just setting up.

blackhawk
02-03-2011, 10:14 AM
With ecabinets, is the dovetal drawer function built in, so that you just input the overall size of your dovetaill drawer and it spits out the cut file?

chunkstyle
02-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Brad,

From my experience using Dvtl.drw. boxes, E-cabs will automatically spit out the cnc code.
I have been wondering how well a Shop Bot will cut the TW dovetail box. Using a Thermwood and working with the owner, it took a bit of work to get acceptable results. Biggest problem is table flatness and material thickness consistency. We were successful after finding a suitable sheet material but the costs of doing them was prohibitive. When the materials and assembly labor was figured out I found it more profitable to buy out my drawers. I only use TW boxes for highly configured boxes. Personal results may vary.

frank134
02-03-2011, 10:49 AM
http://www.thermwood.com/ I may be wrong or got the wrong info. At the bottom of the thermwood web page their are video. One of which show a cnc cutting out the drawer. look really nice but it look like it used three differance bit. I going to call them back and see. I was told by the person that sold be the bit it only took one and I could used a straight one to cut them cut. I don't mind buying the extra bit but wish they told me. If you find anything differance please let me know.