PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Alpha Start Up Help Needed

archis
02-05-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm trying to get my Buddy going and am having trouble connecting to my PC.

Here's what I've got going on:

1) When I flip the big switch on my Buddy to on, after a few seconds it sounds like a fan is running on the spindle

2) On my PC the shopbot software cannot talk to my buddy. I tried all of the help files tricks and have confirmed that there is a "Shopbot controller" installed on Port 4 of my PC.

3) I'm running version 3.6.24 of the control software.

4) I've tried both positions with the key switch and still no luck. I assume a twist to the right is on?

5) I've hit the reset button on buddy itself and this activated the spindle controller. Its display now reads V 6.61 and the stop and drv lights are lit.

Any ideas on what's going on would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. I need to run out now for a couple of hours and will get back on this around noon.

zeykr
02-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Have you run speedtest to verify if the pc can talk to the shopbot.
Speedtest.exe is in the program files/shopbot/diagnostics directory. Run it, make sure the radio button for 'connected to shopbot' is selected, and click the button for 'find a shopbot' and see if it finds it on port 4 or anywhere else. If it finds it, run the communications test and tell us the results. If it does not find it, there is no comm between pc and shopbot. Need to check cables, change pc usb ports, maybe replace the usb cable etc to see if you can establish comm.

Are you using a usb 2.0 hub? Are you using a serial to usb converter of any kind?

Have you installed the firmware? From the shopbot control software, choose Utilities, Install firmware (UI).

Let us know what you find trying these things by posting your results and one of us will respond with our next ideas based on them.

ken_rychlik
02-05-2011, 11:11 AM
When you were loading the software, did you load the drivers?

archis
02-05-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm back from my errand.

No go on the speed test, it can't see the bot either. I'm using a older dell notebook but still a pretty good machine.

I'm using the usb cable hardwired to the Buddy directly into my notebook. I did the firmware install and windows device manger sees the shopbot driver on serial 4. I did try a different usb on the notebook and a reboot without any luck.

I'm still confused about the key switch, is turned right on? Is there a sequence involved, for example does the key need to be to the right before I flip the main control box switch on?

Is the spindle fan spinning what I should expect when I turn the control box on? I still don't see anything on the spindle control box until I hit the rest box, is this normal?

I don't think its this, but I need to ask. There's not any type of phase alignment required on the 230 and 120 circuits is there? The wiring diagram had a line from one leg of the 230 circuit to the hot of the 120 circuit. I'm not clear on what that was suppose to mean.

Thanks for your help so far.

ken_rychlik
02-05-2011, 12:49 PM
You can NOT do a firmware update until you are connected.

It may have told you you did it, but if it is not communicating with the controller, it didn't happen.

Mine is an older one without that switch so I can't advise you there.

At the end of installing the sb3 sofware, it gives you the option to install the drivers. Did you?

As for the wiring on the current model, You can call tech support on the weekend and leave your number. They will normally call you back pretty soon.

archis
02-05-2011, 01:05 PM
The drivers were installed when I installed the shopbot software.

I'll try tech support but if anybody else has any ideas please feel free to post.

Thanks

penman
02-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Hi Jim,
not sure if I can be of any help,but, What I do with my Buddy is turn the power on at the main, turn the switch on at the Buddy, as you describe. The fan on the spindle will start after a second. Push the reset button and your controller will light up. It only contrls the spindle speed, so I do not know if you require a speed set or not. Switch on my computer and double click on the Shopbot program which opens and locates my shopbot, I also use an earlier Dell laptop with Windows XP. I then hit the K on the keyboard to bring up the Shopbot Keypad, where you can shift the spindle around manually. On the keypad there is a row of switches, all off. Switch the very first one on and then hit "start" on your switch,alongside your reset button. As long as you have a number of revs set in your controller spindle should start. Controller manual tells you how to set the revs.

The only other thing is I have the USB connection from the Bot running through a powered USB controller.

Hope I have not insulted you by being over simplistic.

Roger.

archis
02-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Roger,

Thanks for for your input and no offense taken. I will be the first one to call myself an idiot at this point.

With the help of SB Tech support the problem has been resolved and as we like to say at the office "The problem was between the chair and the keyboard".

Long story short, there are two USB cables that need to be attached for the alpha Buddy. One is for the the spindle speed controller and the other is for the bot controller.

Since all of the printed documentation I have mentioned a single USB controller, guess which one I picked :)