PDA

View Full Version : Delay or Take a loaner Router?

jhedlund58
02-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Shopbot PRSstandard BT48 with 2.2hp spindle...... delay on spindle.... guess it still in Italy. They are willing 2 ship shopbot this week with loaner router and ship spindle later... leaving me 2 swap it out etc... say it will come wired etc for spindle and the swap is something anyone should b able 2 do. Guess i am bummed but these things happen... my inclination would b just 2 wait for order 2 b processed as taken.... they expect the part at end of month.... couple of days setup.... delivery.... probably another month.... just a guess....

question is should i bother with the router for a period of time and hope i get the spindle installed correctly. ship router back etc

at least shopbot got paid....already wrote the check....a nice one it was!!

BUMMED in Illinois

gene
02-08-2011, 11:05 AM
I think i would wait, in the time i would get them to send the manuals and read them cover to cover, twice . It will definately help with the setup . This is a way for you to learn patients, LOL

jhedlund58
02-08-2011, 11:15 AM
i am very patient.... just don't tell my wife!!!... my inclination is 2 wait.... have been thru every tutorial many times... aspire is great.... been gathering samples...took school pics of kids and did the george washington project on them.... they look a lot better than just bringing in a bitmap....

i still bummed.... but patience is something i learned long time ago.... they must b very busy...

i still bummed for many reasons.... can u say BEARS/CUBS/WHITE
SOX/BULLS...... thank goodness for the Blackhawks

wberminio
02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Jeff

Just blame the Italians;)
Take it from me,all they really worry about is plate of pasta and a bottle of wine and maybe a good pizza!
Maybe they are trying to teach you something!:)

Anyway-You be very busy very soon! Sit back and enjoy the wait...
We'll all be here when you'll need us!

michael_schwartz
02-08-2011, 12:49 PM
If you need the machine now for production, I would go ahead and take the loaner. That is if your conformable installing the spindle. Otherwise waiting a few weeks might not be a bad idea. At least shopbot is pretty up front with delays, and they don't leave you in the dark wondering.

My machine was delayed about a week, due to the thanksgiving holiday. They were pretty honest about that, and were very apologetic.

If you haven't already I would take advantage of the extra time and make sure that electrical, and dust collection are in place. You will probably also want to build a stand for your control PC, and setup some kind of extra storage for tooling, as your collection will rapidly grow.

I would also pick up some MDF, and Plywood for the spoil board, and various other fixtures you will end up making.

After I spent 4 days assembling my PRS Standard 48x96 I had to wait another 5 to get an electrician to come out since they were either busy, unwilling to work on a weekend, or afraid touch anything that had anything to do with CNC equipment.

myxpykalix
02-08-2011, 02:30 PM
if it was me i'd take the router and get started. They will do what it takes to get you set up when it does come in, but if it won't be till the end of the month, (3 weeks), then shipping and install, it will be a month before you're up and running.

tlempicke
02-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Take the loaner. Putting the spindle on is not much of a deal. You are going to want to spend some time getting set up and air cutting some of the sample projects just to get the routine of running the thing down pat. By the time the spindle arrives you can be ready to do good work with the machine.