View Full Version : Relief Carved Door Panels

kfitzgerald@graphicmetalsinc.com
07-21-2003, 08:15 AM
My boss handed me a hand (relief) carved wood door panel and asked me if ShopBot can do "something close". I don't have a picture of the panel he gave me, but I have found one very similar at this web site:

http://www.wohners.com/panel.jsp
#W4210

He is not looking to duplicate the panel, just to produce an end product with the same general "look".

My tools are Rhino 2.0, TurboCad 7 Pro, Part Wizard, and Mill Wizard. I initially told him that it would take some additional software, such as Vector or ArtCam Insignia, (or ???), plus lots of design/toolpathing time, plus lots of tool changes, plus lots of experimenting on my part, plus long (overnight?) cutting times.

I want to confirm that I am giving him accurate information, so I am asking for opinions on this potential project. Any thoughts? Experience?

I have my own opinions, but I will keep them to myself for the time being.

Regards,

Kevin Fitz-Gerald

Project Manager
Graphic Metals, Inc.
P.O. Box 31
715 E. Perry Street
Bryan, OH 43506
USA

V 419-636-5757
F 419-636-6404
kfitzgerald@graphicmetalsinc.com (mailto:kfitzgerald@graphicmetalsinc.com)

CNC laser cutting up to 11 ga. steel
CNC routing wood and plastic

rgbrown@itexas.net
07-21-2003, 09:35 AM
Kevin,

With flexibility of design, I think something similar could be done with several "Her-Saf" indexable bits in about an hour or so. It would take a lot of experimentation and some "Deep thought".

The tool paths could be generated in RHINO and translated with the ShopBot file converter, I think. But, it would be a lot easier to set and order the cuts in a program like VECTOR.

Thinking tool paths requires a completely different approach than most CNC cutting. I don't think many people are "wired" that way and I doubt many can be rewired to have the view in the mind of what will be the finished product. It surprises me on a regular basis.

Writing a file similar to that, that would "cut fast" would be involved and interesting. It could drive one mad.

Ron Brown

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

artisan
07-21-2003, 11:39 AM
The Wheat Stalks are a formidable piece to carve because it looks as though the stalks are done in 2.5D requiring multiple passes. The other Moulding type piece is a little less complicated. I know that both are possible because I do that sort of work already....so the short answer is "Yes"...the Shopbot will do it....if you tell it how. My experience with Millwizard is that while it is an incredible program....it is not sophisticated enough to create the necessary strategies for this type of work. I am not a fan of Vector....though I think it is more than capable. I have no experience with Parts Wizard so I cannot comment on it's abilities though it is a Delcam collaboration which is a good thing I think. I use Rhino, Corel and Visualmill for 95% of what I do. Artcam....if you can afford it.... will do everything you are looking for as I have worked with it as well. I agree with Ron in that toolpaths are the intangible here. Find a software you can live with and put on some strong coffee....D

rgbrown@itexas.net
07-21-2003, 11:46 AM
" and put on some strong coffee"

I think it will take more than coffee.... and, Im not into drugs.

gerald_d
07-21-2003, 12:01 PM
Kevin, my thoughts are that the 3-axis ShopBot will not give the desired hand-carved look for those sample pieces - irrespective of the programs and drinks available. You can get closer and closer to the hand-carved look by putting in plenty of programming and bit changes - 90% of your effort will go to improving to last 10% of the desired look.

Interesting that probing hasn't been mentioned yet.

The cost-effective way is to do a roughed-out blank for a hand-carver to finish.

bjwat@comcast.net
07-21-2003, 12:41 PM
Gerald,
Ya beat me to it. With the software mentioned and complexity of the design, plus some reasonable timeframe, the SB probe would be the ideal solution. Scan it in and mill it out. Done.

I would imagine that re-creating the design would be a major undertaking in 3D from my experience with Rhino. Yes it can be done...but timeframe is probably an important factor.

You can import the 3D-DXF scanned file into MillWizard and crank it out.

-Brady

gerald_d
07-21-2003, 12:54 PM
Brady, I was not promoting the probe - in fact, I would avoid it:

1. Takes too long.
2. The finish cut quality is "bit-mapped" - will still need hand-finishing.
3. The question of copyright.

bruce_clark
07-22-2003, 12:56 AM
Hey,

How about drawing them in a paint program, then using the TIFF converter or any other height field to machine code converter. There are plenty. Check this one out:

http://www2.fwi.com/~kimble/scispec/scispec.htm

Draw the grapes or what ever you want and then run that through this program and then convert that file via the G-code converter.

Sure, it will take some hand sanding to get that finished look, but it will get the job done.

My $.02.

Bruce Clark

Dennis Sullivan
07-27-2003, 09:47 AM
I dunno about the grapes, and I haven't looked at the sample, but:

I suggested a technique to one of our customers who was programming a new router to do country style furniture. One of their designs was a wheat motif. I suggested digitizing the pattern for the stalks and cutting with a v-groove cutter. For the pods, I suggested creating subroutines for several wheat pods oriented in different directions, then calling the approriate subroutine at the end of each stalk. The pods were created with the same v-groove cutter using graduated depths. The router didn't do Z-axis circular interpolation, so the programmer (who was an artist and sculptor)used a fine-step technique to program the depths to make the v-groove cutter create the shape of the pods.

It worked great! He sent me a sample, and it looks good. Their technicians had previously free-handed the patterns with an air-powered router, but that's no longer needed. They can do it all with their CNC router.

Hope this helps!

Dennis S.
Shapetracker Digitizers

rgbrown@itexas.net
07-27-2003, 12:16 PM

Woodgrain?

bjwat@comcast.net
07-28-2003, 12:26 PM
Ron...nice!

Simple and clean.

-Brady

gerald_d
07-28-2003, 01:30 PM
That wheat is too consistent - all the grains are identical in shape and size. Is it that famous "Genetically Engineered" stuff that you eat on the other side of the line?

Here (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=wheat&btnG=Google%2BSearch) is that amazing new Google image search.

Ron Brown
07-29-2003, 07:34 AM
Yes, the grain is consistant. That is a trial of a pattern. If I would have wanted inconsistant grain, I would have programed it that way.

BUT, it was quick to write the file.....