View Full Version : buying models for the indexer

steve
02-20-2011, 08:13 AM
I have been asked (again) to consider selling my indexer desgines and/or models. I have a few questions about what people would want to buy and for how much.

I would be providing (at first anyway) a flat Artcam model (.rlf). As some of you know I don't use the core method, I build the model full size, in artcam this makes the simulation look out of proportition in the Y axis, but that doesn't matter, when you cut it it will be right.

I guess my question is, if you wanted to buy a 3D model of a turning what would you except to get?

...or I could just make the actual turning for you.

myxpykalix
02-20-2011, 01:28 PM
As someone who wanted to be your first customer for a while, I would suggest that you follow the way VectorArt does it by offering it as a rlf, or stl.,ect.

Pricing wise Maybe follow their structure. I would suggest that you size them appropriately (table legs, columns). Then you could charge extra for someone who wants you to make the toolpaths or alter the size.

Based on the picture it seems you have a good library built up.

bleeth
02-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Stephen:
Thinking a bit long term it would depend on whether you see yourself as a producer of designs or products. If you want to produce products then selling your designs would seem self defeating. If you want to promote yourself as a designer then you could market them yourself or contact James and see if he would be interested in marketing your turning designs through Vector Art 3-d. There are other outfits besides SB that produce indexers and your market could be wider than you think.

MogulTx
02-24-2011, 03:25 PM
If you would be willing to allow someone to use your design work, for a little compensation, then I think it makes sense to go to James and discuss the value he thinks he could give you for each of them, each time they are sold... or you could go direct. You are already selling cutting services, so there is no need to really do more than to set up another line item in your sales portfolio-

It comes down to what choices are most acceptable to you, I would think.