PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about Circular arrays in PartWorks 3.0

steve_g
02-28-2011, 10:16 AM
First of all… when I go to the help files I get a page that says “Placeholder for Help file” (see attached image) and am wondering if this is a universal experience.

The real question is …. Can I populate the “rotation center” boxes automatically when the center is other than the default? Perhaps by Fn click or other such combo key stroke. (yes, I tried that and others)

Thanks, Steve

tmerrill
02-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Hi Steve,

I'm not sure why you are seeing that for the help contents, it's working fine in my install and a copy of that section of the Help Contents is below. You can also find the Reference Manual in your C:\Program Files\VCarve Pro V6.0\Help\Docs folder. That contains everything that is in Help Contents plus a little more.

As the help section states, the default center is the center of the material and I am not aware of any shortcut key to set it to something else.

Normally I will create arrays with the center at 0,0 and after the array is complete, select it (and possibly group it) and move it to the area I want using the Move tool.

Tim

steve_g
03-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks Tim
The place holder file is what was at the location you suggested. I called ShopBot and learned that this was a problem that had been fixed and I needed to re download the software. Done and Fixed.

My hope for a better way to fill the “center” boxes has been dashed. I’ve been using a work-around, as have you. Perhaps this is a small change that could be included in future versions? (Hint, Hint).

Steve

tmerrill
03-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Steve,

I'm happy you got the Help file fixed.

What I was describing for positioning an array of shapes wasn't a work around, but a useful technique. There is a lot you can do with positioning it using snaps with other shapes placed in the correct position.

If you can share what you are doing, there may be a trick or two someone will share.

Tim

steve_g
03-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Tim:

Perhaps I misunderstood how you are creating your arrays. If you are creating all circular arrays at 0,0 and then moving them… That sounds like a work-around. You would never use it at that location and you are working on and off the shaded area of the work surface. I have been using the default center 24,24, but sometimes I already have something there that I don’t care to move at the current stage of design. The best thing would be for me to be able to create where I am in the design process. I often find myself writing down x,y coordinates to fill in the “boxes” . This information is readily available at the bottom of the screen and so it would seem to me that a simple keystroke could be programmed to paste that information into the “array center” fields. I think what it all boils down to is that I have stopped using AutoCad for design work and am doing all drawing in Partworks, possibly this is more than it was designed for.

Steve

tmerrill
03-01-2011, 04:50 PM
I understand what you are doing now and all we have are two different approaches, no right or wrong.

I always design with the center at the origin and take advantage of symmetry and the symmetry shortcuts. In the case of circular arrays I want to create them around the center and then move them. So I don't feel I'm being forced to use a work around.

If it is something that will be cut with the origin at lower left, such as with a sheet of plywood, I'll just make the change and shift the design before setting up toolpaths.

All I know and have used are Vectric products, so knowing something exists in another product doesn't mean anything to me.

I know the Vectric folks are open to suggestions, so I would urge you to send it to them directly or post it on the Vectric forum for better visibility.

Tim

adrianm
03-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm the same. I always design with the origin in the centre of the material. It just gives so many more options and I find it much faster to work that way.

bleeth
03-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Tim:
You can simply enter the numbers in the boxes. Part Wizard had the option to pick center with mouse but the snaps didn't function with that. It would be nice if it did.

tmerrill
03-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks Dave,

I am aware you can enter numbers but my point is why bother when I like to design around 0,0 and then move everything at once. Again, just a personal preference.

I can see how Steve would enjoy an easier method of selecting a center point and it is worth presenting the requiest to Vectric.

Tim

steve_g
03-01-2011, 05:24 PM
OK, you guys have convinced me to try designing with the origin in the center. I’ll see if I can change my ways!

Steve

tmerrill
03-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Steve,

That wasn't my goal, just trying to point out that one man's work around is another's standard practice.

But, you just may like it.

Tim