PDA

View Full Version : Kent CNC Dust Shoe

jporter
03-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Just a quick note about a recent purchase of mine. The Kent CNC dust shoe is a big success on my little Buddy. It is one of those few things you buy that works as advertised out of the box. Not only is it a thing of beauty, it fits perfectly and allows me to remount my PC router base in the inverted position which gives me a lot more Z travel. ShopBot has instructions on how to do this if you are interested. Of course, I am not affiliated with Kent in any way, just a happy customer. joe
http://www.kentcnc.net/nc/products/94-standard-dust-shoe.aspx

knight_toolworks
03-04-2011, 02:27 PM
I wanted to buy his but the problems fitting it on the prt is a problem. everything is in the way. So I made mine. but I have not found brushes that hold up. mine has to be lower and the brushes tend to stay bent. the horsehair seem to be the best. I wanted to order from his source but the min order is 150.00 and that's too much for me for brushes.

dana_swift
03-04-2011, 04:39 PM
I also use the Kent CNC dust foot. I love the ease with which I can remove and replace it. Its even easier than the Gary Campbell design.

The Gary's design is much better at gathering chips tho.

I would like to get some of the magnets Kent uses to secure the foot and replace the bottom removable part with one more like gary's.

I would recommend either of them, they each have their advantages.

D

harryball
03-07-2011, 10:14 AM
I use one. Good Stuff.

/RB

matney_models
05-16-2011, 12:04 AM
This how I did mine. I added 1 more E chain brk

pappybaynes
05-16-2011, 12:37 PM
What is the black "ball-looking" device upright of the vacuum hose?

bleeth
05-16-2011, 12:40 PM
That's a "ball Joint" universal angle vacuum hose joint.

john_rice
05-23-2011, 07:38 PM
This looks much more efficient than the boot that came standard on my Buddy. Would a 2 hp cyclone be adequate for it?

kurt_rose
05-23-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm running a Kent with a 1HP collector from Harbor Freight and am very happy with it. My shop is pretty much dust free. :D It really does work as advertised.

dana_swift
05-23-2011, 08:27 PM
I am using a 2.5hp with the Kent, and it works reasonably well. The Gary Campbell foot is better, but Kents is more convenient.

I would love to get the magnets and pattern to make my own lower boot to go on the Kent upper using Gary's lower. Then it would really be slick!

Usually I keep my foot about 0.5" above the work at Z-0 so the brushes are just touching the surface when the bit is a half inch deep. I could set it up differently, but that half inch gap lets a few chips out.

The other thing that lets chips out is working near the edge of the table, then the dust foot extends over the edge of the table and the draft is not nearly as efficient. More noticeable chips escape there. That is where Gary's design would really shine, since his brushes just go immediately around the bit it would still get all the chips.

When I am running my 2.5hp collector, I am often running other ports at the same time. So I suspect you will be happy with a 1 or 1.5 if it is dedicated to the bot. A shop vac was enough when I got started.

It's not necessary to get the end-all system when you are first getting started. Find out what your needs are using something simple like a shop vac of some kind.

Just my two cents worth- I think I overdid it by about a quarter.

HelicopterJohn
08-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Hi Dana,

Do a search on e-bay for neodymium magnets. These are the strong ones.

I have used them around the shop for various projects.

That is where Gary's design would really shine, since his brushes just go immediately around the bit it would still get all the chips.

Do you have any detail pictures of Gary's lower shoe that shoes how close the brushes are to the bit?

I really like the idea this guy had as it creates the suction in close proximity to the router bit. Here is a link to a video on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL_5JYl3qR8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I am in the process of designing a vacuum shoe. I would also like to have a rod or rods that the base attaches to where you could (easily adjust) the height of the dust shoe over the work. Maybe even have some type of electronic servo to raise and lower the shoe during machining operations when using different length bits in multi-tool path situations.

I really like the Kent Shoe but from what I can see on the design you would have to loosen, adjust and retighten the upper clamp to change the dust shoe clearance. I realize that the brushes can flex and take up for the various tool lengths, but being new to all the router stuff not totally sure how that will work. He also offers different length brushes and adapter plates which is a good thing.

Is there anything that I am missing, as I am new to CNC routers?

John

Gary Campbell
08-07-2011, 10:09 AM
John...
Here is a link to a video that shows the action of my 1st generation dustfoot: http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1#p/u/3/eNOwXWgFgb4

There were a few minor modifications made to this design and 3-4 dozen were sold. One of the major, but usually unnoticed features of this design is it has a decreasing cross sectional area and interior baffles to direct and concentrate vacuum. It didnt hurt that the OEM thumbscrew was replaced with an air clamping system. For a time, I controlled these with the SB3 software.

Since I was offering these for sale, I didnt, by design, show any closeups that would allow others to easily copy the design. I no longer have a machine that these products will fit on. This removes my ability to test or improve the existing design. I have since sold the design to another ShopBotter and do not know what his intentions are.

adrianm
08-07-2011, 10:45 AM
H
I really like the Kent Shoe but from what I can see on the design you would have to loosen, adjust and retighten the upper clamp to change the dust shoe clearance. I realize that the brushes can flex and take up for the various tool lengths, but being new to all the router stuff not totally sure how that will work. He also offers different length brushes and adapter plates which is a good thing.

I've got one of Kent's shoes on my PRS Alpha and I never adjust the upper clamp. For all my normal use the brushes take up the depth of cut no problem.

I rarely cut anything over an inch thick though. It might be an issue if you're cutting thicker stock with longer cutters.

It's certainly the best upgrade I've bought for my 'Bot and makes changing bits and absolute delight compared to the standard foot.

dana_swift
08-07-2011, 10:57 AM
John- interesting video from down under eh? That is a very small dust collector system, the Kent and Gary designs are for much greater airflow. The distance around the skirt is something like 5-6 inches on each of them which makes a great deal of sense for high horsepower dust collectors.

If you are new to CNC routers, start simple and find out what your needs are. If you are doing sheet stock, almost anything will work. If you do 3D things and deep pockets any of these dust foot designs can be in the way. Then design something that works for your needs.

For starters, go with the Kent CNC design, it really is easy. It doesn't need much improving, but like most things, I have some suggestions! There may be a design that works perfectly in all situations, so far I have not seen it, or been able to conceive it myself.

If you are concerned about the bristles getting into the bit, no worries. The bit will take care of that, it trims the errant ones automatically! It must happen, but my bristles on either dust foot are not showing any gaps from that problem. Both designs give the bristles support to keep them away from the bit.

If you still want, I will post some photos of both designs side-by-side. That might be useful to someone. This afternoon I will be cutting a lot. I could take some shots then.

Hope that helps!

D

dana_swift
08-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Adrian posted while I was writing my reply! I agree with his experience. It is not necessary to re-adjust the Kent CNC foot height. I set the bits into the collet based on the bottom of the dust foot. Changing the dust foot mount isnt needed. Just cut..

For those chips that do escape, I have a free hose on the dust collector so I can use it like a regular vacuum cleaner, even while other tools are in operation.

D

Gary Campbell
09-01-2011, 02:25 PM
For those of you that have emailed or PM'd me concerning the dustfoot I designed, as shown in the video in post #12, this is now in the capable hands of John Haggarty. PM John for more info.

knight_toolworks
09-01-2011, 03:58 PM
here is mine this was a battle on a prt to avoid all the parts. I have changed the brushes I use 3" 2" and 1" now.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/cnc%20jigs%20and%20parts/P1010332.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/cnc%20jigs%20and%20parts/P1010333.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/cnc%20jigs%20and%20parts/P1010334.jpg

Stagecraft
09-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Steve, really like that setup!
Wondering how you attached to the spindle and where did you source the brushes? - Boyd