PDA

View Full Version : Template file to share????

gundog
03-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Can anyone tell me how to save a file to a format that you can then use as a template for someone to use that will retain the actual size of the file?

Example I make a part that needs to have holes drilled in a surface that can't be cut on the bot or for a customer to drill a set of holes to mount said part. I want to be able to make a template that can be printed and sent via email or posted on the net. I want said file to be able to be downloaded by people with no Cad program.

This is what I have tried and has not worked so far. I made the drawing in Aspire then saved it as a DXF file and opened it in Turbo Cad I can print it properly from Turbo Cad but when I save it in Turbo Cad as a JPG file and open it in another program it does not retain the proper scale. Is there an easy way to do this? I can save it in many different formats in Turbo Cad. I have also tried to save it as a PDF file and it changed the size of the vectors.

Thanks Mike

cabindoors
03-07-2011, 01:09 PM
If you are not sure that when you export your dxf to another program it does not scale correctly I use the following technique:

The easiest way that I've found is to encompass the drawing in a square area ( such as 12" x 12" ) or what ever size will enclose your dxf. Draw this square around your dxf while in your CAD program. When you export it to another program simply choose all vectors including the 12x12 square and scale it to 12x12.

bleeth
03-07-2011, 02:04 PM
You should also be able to print to pdf at original size in your cad program.

myxpykalix
03-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Saving it as a jpg won't retain proper size. You need to keep it in a vector type format, or one that can be converted. Also i would print all the deminsions on the file also so that if someone has to rescale it they don't have to go searching for the info as it will be right in front of them.

gundog
03-07-2011, 02:26 PM
I know that when I exported it to Turbo Cad and printed the file it worked and printed the proper size. The problem is when trying to save it in another format because most people (non CNC folks) can't open DXF files. I have saved it in both PDF & JPG and neither those keep the proper scaling. The PDF makes it larger and the JPG makes it smaller.

Mike

zeykr
03-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Can you cut a drilling template from 1/4 mdf or something and send with the part?

bleeth
03-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Mike:

Make sure the plot scale is set to print at 1:1 and you are not fitting to paper or something. I plot from the model and use a window to define limits.
There are also some free dxf viewers on the internet and you can always supply a link to one that you have made sure works with the output from Aspire or Turbocad.

Dave

srwtlc
03-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Mike, do you have CorelDraw? You can export from aspire as an .eps, open in CorelDraw and then go to File/Publish to PDF.

gundog
03-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Mike, do you have CorelDraw? You can export from aspire as an .eps, open in CorelDraw and then go to File/Publish to PDF.

I do not have Coreldraw.

Mike:

Make sure the plot scale is set to print at 1:1 and you are not fitting to paper or something. I plot from the model and use a window to define limits.
There are also some free dxf viewers on the internet and you can always supply a link to one that you have made sure works with the output from Aspire or Turbocad.

Dave

I checked that when I printed and it was set 1-1.

Thanks Mike