PDA

View Full Version : This guy beat me too it.........

daniel
10-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Check out this link to a guy who built a clock using a PIC chip, a steppermotor, and a CNC. I've been trying to design something like this myself but I have been getting slaughtered in the details of, programming, compiling, linking at all that.............

http://alan-parekh.com/projects/gear-clock/

john_l
11-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Thats really cool. I can see why you would be bogged with the details.

crewdog
11-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Nice.
Anyone want to give a try to convert the g-code files to sbp files?

andyb
11-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Brian,
The zip file contains the DXF files. You can create the toolpaths using the DXF files in Partworks, V-Carve or Aspire.

Andy B.

daniel
11-06-2009, 04:46 PM
I've been somewhat succesful recently. I have programed a chip that will move the stepper motor. You can calibrate it to the speed of a second hand by changing a delay value in the program. It also moves forward and reverse at a faster rate so you can set the time forward or backward.

larry_r
11-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Daniel

This seems like an intersting project. I would be interested in knowing what kind of cost is involved in buying the stepper motor and the pic chip.

Thanks
Larry

navigator7
11-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Daniel,
Your post uses "defeatism" in it's title.
Rather than announce you have been beaten why not create another type of clock just as effective only highly original?
Clocks are timeless...pardon the pun ... but beating others to a machine that tells time is rather worn out IMHO.
My puter is a better clock than the finest Swiss watch ever built.

But I digress.

My artistic/satirical/sadistic/agitprop mind thinks a Jimmy Buffit Clock would be an ideal SB project provided it was bigger than life?

;-)

daniel
11-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Point taken Chuck, I didn't feel defeated, I'm actually excited that others have simalar ideas...and since then I've had some success!

Larry, I've got less then 10 bucks for the stepper motor at a electric surplus store I visit. (They had a whole box at one timee...) And the chip is about a buck and some change....

crewdog
11-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Andy,
I tried to convert the G-code using shopbot, but had lousy results. Your suggestion to use the DFX files in partsworks has gone somewhat better.

Another newbie question for everyone. Since these files were designed for a 3mm ( 0.118") endmill, will using a 0.125" endmill screw the design of the gears up?