View Full Version : Cabinet door design

denver
05-07-2007, 04:58 PM
A friend of mine recently asked if I could make cabinet doors with custom decorations. She would like two doors with oak leaves in one corner (one upper left, the other upper right). I tried something of my own, but I'm not too happy with it. Has anybody done any doors with some kind of leaf - preferably oak - decoration?

Thanks,

Denver

Brady Watson
05-07-2007, 07:30 PM
http://www.vectorart3d.com/

denver
05-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks Brady, I should have been able to think of that myself - I've seen it mentioned before.

However, that prompts another question, assuming I spend the $25: What's the best format? I have all 3 Vectric packages, plus PartWizard of course, and MillWizard.

I would guess STL, but I would like an additional opinion.

Thanks,

Denver

paco
05-07-2007, 11:43 PM
At the moment, if you want to use the 3D model into VCP then go with *.V3M (VA3D Machinist Model). You can use this format in Vector Art Machinist and VCP.

If you want the maximum flexibility AND can wait that Vectric make VCP capable of handling *.V3D (Cut 3D format) then go with *.STL. This format will work in "almost" all 3D CAD and CAM but not yet directly in VCP... yet...

*.RLF is for ArtCAM PRO and *.PLT (I think) is for CarveWright machine only.

*.V3M "cannot" be converted while *.STL can. You need an ArtCAM PRO owner to convert an *.RLF and I believe it is the same for CarveWright.

I personally prefer *.STL since it can be used with "almost" anything.

Brady Watson
05-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Denver,
STL is universally supported and you could use it in Cut3D or MillWizard (I'd do it in C3D) It will also work in just about any other 3D CAM package as well. The other option that you have is to use the free 3D Machinist program that VectorArt provides with a file purchase, but it is essentially very much like Cut3D.

If you are doing this in a door, I think that the inverted dome with RLF in it is a nice way to go. You can carve the 3D right into the door and you're all set.

-B

denver
05-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone. Vectorart3d does have a model of two oak leaves with acorns. I'll try the dish style and see how my friend likes it. I think it will work out well.

Thanks again,

Denver