PDA

View Full Version : slides and hinges

coach
03-16-2011, 07:20 PM
I have a hard time programming door hinge plate screw holes and also for drawer slides. Does e cabs have options for different slides.
when I make a base cab they in the same place. when i make differens size drawers in drawer base I have no idea how to figure out the holes making drawe sizes to customers request.
getting ready to take the e cabs leap very soon.
Thanks all for any advice.

Gary Campbell
03-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Dave...
Using eCabs Hardware editor you can generate virtually any hole pattern there is. You also have full control over its location in relation to the drawer bottom. You also have the ability to have 2 "default" slides for the same cabinet. One for the door/drawer editor, and another for the drawer box editor. The DB editor allows you to place draws behind doors, such as pantry roll outs.

Another nice feature is that your draw box cut sizes will be on the cut list. Once you set up your hardware hole pattern(s) and enter your draw clearance parameters, you dont have to look at them again.... unless you change parameters.

Make the leap... there is a learning curve, but it worth it.

Besides, we havent had any newbies to pick on in this section for a while!!:D

coach
03-16-2011, 07:55 PM
ha ha, Gary, I just downloaded the trial and have no sheet goods in the list and cant find how to import sheet goods. pick away.

Gary Campbell
03-16-2011, 08:02 PM
David..

Settings/Preferences>
Define Materials>
Sheet Goods from drop list
ENter your desired settings in each field.

Or open a few cabinets from the free libraries and your list will propagate with those materials you can edit to make others.

coach
03-16-2011, 08:18 PM
if I purchase link and down load onto home computer can I get it on to the shop comp? I have no anti virus on shop p.c. hate hooking to internet.

Gary Campbell
03-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Dave...
Yes. Dowload and save to a known location. Install on Home computer. Save to flash drive to install on shop computer. I do the same. Shop Computer has never seen the internet.

Gary Campbell
03-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Dave...
If you want to get up to speed with eCabs faster, sign on for the training videos. I think they are down to around $25 per month. Cancel when you like. A lot less than the $900+ a year it used to be.

englert
03-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Just thought I'd put in a blatant plug here.

For a modest fee of $25 per month, we do offer Online Video Tutorials that would answer many of these questions in a short video clip. The interface lets you do searches and even download the video. All the videos are encrypted, so they expire at the end of each monthly period. We've made it pretty easy. When you sign up, the payments are made by recurring payments through PayPal. Whenever you're done watching videos, you can send us an email or make a call to cancel the recurring payments.

Fairly painless and if you're a glutten for punishment or have a lot of time on your hands, you could foreseeably see all of the videos within a month. There are approximately 30 hours of video. Bear in mind that I'm intermittently adding videos that may contain information about techniques or applications or present information about software updates.

You can go to this website. www.thermwood.com/ecabinetsystemstrainingcenter (http://www.thermwood.com/ecabinetsystemstrainingcenter)

On the website, you'd create a video account. After you submit your info for that it'll take you to PayPal to setup payment. After you submit that, it'll return you back to the video screen and you can start watching them.

The videos are organized by a Table of Contents called Categories, so should be helpful in finding what you want. The videos are intended to be watched in sequence, so if you just pick and choose, you might be missing some of the methods previously presented.

There is a category called "Cabinet and Assembly Editor". There will be videos in that category that would help you with your current questions.

Later,
Dennis Englert
Manager of Product Training
Thermwood Corporation

neal_meyers_jr
03-17-2011, 10:14 AM
I am going to purchase a 48-60 std very soon, do to Shop Bot having an e-cab link, just trying to get all the Legal stuff covered prior to starting my business.
I found and have been playing with the e-cab for 1+ years now and am still amazed by it everyday and yes still a newbee there too! As for help look at Thermwoods site and the forums there. Dan has been a Great help to me. Yes there is a learing curve, but it is worth the time investment.

Cheers
Neal Meyers Jr
White Ga.

Gary Campbell
03-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Neal...
Welcome to this forum. I am hoping that your post includes a typo. That would be in the machine size that you posted. In order to get anywhere near the full value of the eCabs/SB Link/ShopBot combo, I would recommend a minimum of a 48 by 96 machine.

neal_meyers_jr
03-22-2011, 09:18 PM
yEs it waz 48x96.:D:D Believe I posted that the day I worked until midnight the night before and was back on the road by 04:00 the next morning.:eek:

So this probable not the area to post this but I have been told there was no fish in the pond but I fished in it anyway.:cool:

I am looking at the PrStd 48x96 with a single phase 2.2 hp spindle, indexer, and the ecab link. My much delayed question is, besides the starter bits what would be some recommended bits to purchase in addition to these. What is the minimum size bit that can be used slow speed I am assuming.
Also can ecabs drill adjustable shelf holes with a end cutter instead of using the air drill option. (ie 1/16 inch bit to cut a center hole and then cut to the outside edge.)

Gary Campbell
03-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Neal...
Many SB Link users use either a 5mm or 1/4" compression cutter as a single bit strategy. So, to answer your question, yes, but the slow speeds required by a bit as small as a 1/16 would negate any time savings gained by using a CNC. Using a bit that is the size of the shelf pin or system holes and is configured to also to outline and dado cutting is fairly common.

neal_meyers_jr
03-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Gary
Thanks for the response. I had thought of the single bit but was not sure if it would cut the pocket too large. Hoping to order my machine mid April. Talking to bankers and lawyers now.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I liked your vacuum system going to reread it and start collecting the motors and such to build my own table for the machine.
Thank You Neal

coach
10-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Finally purchased e cabs. Going to purchase the video training and have at it.
Thanks for the input..... Gary be ready for the newbie you were wanting to pick on.....I will give you more than enough ammunition.
Dave

Gary Campbell
10-09-2011, 07:19 AM
David...
We are all standing by.... :D Welcome to the club!

coach
10-09-2011, 03:36 PM
I downloaded the shop bot link. there is no material listed. I cannot find any software. I try to download and wants e cabinets customer number. cannot find that following the instructions.
I can't even get started with the basics. I think I may have wasted my money.

bleeth
10-09-2011, 04:02 PM
David:
Have you gotten the (free) e-cabinets software? That is where all the design work is done. The link is used as the cam part to use the output from e-cabinets to run your bot. Go here: http://ecabinetsystems.com/ and click on join eCabinet Systems. After that peruse the rest of the site. Much is explained there. You have probably not wasted your money. It is much too early in the game to decide that. They will send you the disc (or maybe just a download link-it changes periodically) as well as a member number. The design software is not completely intuitive. How you use it will depend on want you want to do. Some simply enter cabinets in batch list form or spreadsheet and some actually do dimensional room designs. The first part of your curve will be creating your library for your shop and how you build cabinets. The training videos for e-cab are very good for that. Garys video (haven't seen it myself but knowing Gary.....) is on the actual use of the link once you are ready to cut. There are also free libraries of cabinets that you can download and either use as is or modify and save as your own. All cabinet software has a pretty steep learning curve at first and e-cab is no exception.

Gary Campbell
10-09-2011, 05:57 PM
David.....
1st you must email eCabinets and request a registration code.
2nd once you have code, install eCabinets and begin the design process. The video Training series from Thermwood will cut the learning process immensly.
3rd Once you have some machineable cabinets, then you can cut them on the SB using the SB Link. Which is a dongle for your control computer. The software is a free download from the Thermwood site. You can use it and look it over, but until you have designed at least one cabinet and processed it into a job (TWD) file, there will be nothing there. It will/should be a few weeks before you are ready for cutting.

kerry_fullington
10-09-2011, 07:45 PM
David,

eCabinet Systems does not ship the software on disks anymore unless you make a special request. Here is a link to the download page to get Version 6 Build 6.
http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ecabinet_systems_updates.htm

After you install the software you will need the registration code Gary mentioned. I think there should have been a code in one of your emails.

Kerry

coach
10-12-2011, 06:14 PM
got the software. Come to find out I was registered with a different e mail prior to owning a cnc.
trying to get the computer to play the video's. I am running windows vista. It doesn't want me to do anything on here.
Thanks and I will be back soon,,,lol.
Dave

coach
10-12-2011, 06:41 PM
watched the 1st video(not encrypted) the rest of the video's , when I try to play them. I get error message "windows media player encountered a problem." I checked device manager and the drivers are up to date. What I didn't see was the EZDRM dialog display. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Dave

coach
10-14-2011, 04:57 PM
finally able to play the training video. Installed on 2 computers at the shop.

nat_wheatley
10-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Keep at it, you won't be disappointed once you get familiar with cutting with the software.