PDA

View Full Version : window and door casings

myxpykalix
03-17-2011, 11:55 PM
I did some renovations to one of my apts (that has the wainscoting) and carved some custom door and window casings. Steven Glassel helped me with the fan decoration. The half round pilasters design was adapted from parts in my wainscoting.

The lightswitch was carved out of corian and made oversize because the hole was too big, same with some of the outlets. I have seen guys carve lightswitch and outlet covers in wood and I was always leary of doing that but i think the corian is perfect in those applications.
The door is now white

jdervin
03-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Very nice work.

steve_g
03-18-2011, 01:50 AM
Jack:
Very creative… from concept to execution! You’ve taken what could have been “just another apartment” and given it some character. You’ve inspired me to try casing in some of the windows at my place that have shoddy sheetrock workmanship.

Steve

myxpykalix
03-18-2011, 03:01 AM
Even though this took me a while to get it carved, sanded, painted, installed what I find is that by doing stuff like this you wind up attracting a better class of renter, and a higher rent.

bleeth
03-18-2011, 08:43 AM
It all looks very nice Jack. Good job. Did you do any additional finishing on the light switch or is that straight out of the router?

myxpykalix
03-18-2011, 12:50 PM
dave,
the lightswitch started out as a .25 piece of white corian and at its shallowest point was about .125 thick so it was fragile. I used a hand screwdriver and turned slowly so as not to crack it.