PDA

View Full Version : dovetail for drawer

frank134
03-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Has anyone try the dovetail cutter for making drawer in e-cab yet? I got a couple sheet of pink foam and was going to give it a try. If anyone can give me a little head up to save some pink foam I would appreciate it.

Gary Campbell
03-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Sorry Frank...
Cant help you with this one. I just put in a Dovetail machine and a borer for commercial melamine doweled draw boxes, but I cant sell a plywood draw box here.

frank134
03-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Thank Gary. I guess I’am out on my own. If I don’t make it. That me at your door with ply in hand.
If I get it to work I will get you know.

kerry_fullington
03-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Frank,

Be sure to read the Dovetail Crunch Settings section of the Link Manual as this is how you adjust fit. It will probably take some experimentation with this setting. You will probably have different fit results with the plywood versus the pink foam though so you may have to sacrifice some plywood to testing also.

chunkstyle
03-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Frank,

Your Q.C. on this method of cutting a joint will only be as good as the variation in plywood thickness within the sheet and/or between the sheets. Either sloppy or too tight fitting joint.
The solution for us was to go with a calibrated material. We've used 'Europly' prefinished maple plywood from Columbia Forest Products and get it thru Atlantic Plywood. It's pricey but does have a max. allowable thickness variation that was acceptable for this construction. To save on costs we only run the sides, front and back of a drawer box in Europly and use a prefinished domestic maple ply for the bottoms.
I've heard others using a veneered mdf core sheet stock, also.

frank134
03-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Thank for your reply Tim. I can get both materials here from a company call DSI. I have used the mfd core before and forgot about it. I will order some and try it. I was looking more for setting and other little hint that may help me along. But every little bit help.
Again Thank